Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chicago :: Fronterra Grill

Frontera
Frontera-1 Frontera-2
While in Chicago, we decided to try one of Ricky Bayless’ restaurants. We somehow dragged ourselves out of bed after a fun night in Boystown to Fronterra  for my favourite meal…brunch!
We asked the bartender for some recommendations – he suggested the mole and the eggs benny. We also decided to share toastaditas de ceviche,  described as “crisp little tortillas piled with lime-marinated Hawaiian albacore, manzanilla olives, tomato, serrano and cilantro.”
This was the highlight of the brunch! The bartender knowingly nodded and said it was great (then why didn’t he recommend it?!) and everything was fresh. Yum!
Frontera-3
We also ordered Huevos Estilo "El Bajio", (two poached eggs in crispy masa boats, black beans, creamy chile poblano sauce, Mexican greens & homemade chorizo) and Enchiladas de Mole Poblano (Homemade tortillas rolled around Gunthorp free-range chicken, doused with Mexicos most famous mole, black beans).

Frontera-4I was not a fan of the poached eggs – the poblano sauce didn’t do much for the dish. – I found it rather bland for a Mexican-inspired breakfast! The egg was poached okay – I like mine super soft and runny and this was on the medium side.
The mole was quite good though – I recommend that. Both dishes could have used more spice, but if I were to return I’d order the ceviche again and consider the mole. The impression was not strong enough to compel me to return on my next trip, but it wasn’t a bad brunch at all!
Frontera Grill on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment