Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicago :: Hello Bean!





No, I don’t mean you, Miss Bean! But hello to you too!


It was peculiar to travel with a suitcase and a plethora of clothes. No longer was I rummaging around my backpack, locking it up when leaving a hostel room, or “deciding” between my only two shirts. Such a different way of travelling!

I never get tired of visiting The Bean when I’m in Chicago. My Bean count is four. Is that weird? Yeah.
There’s something mesmorizing about the bean – I have countless photos of my friends and I goofily waving at it. I chose the top one, because if you look closely…maybe you’ll see something funny that another tourist is doing for his photo :3

We headed over to the closest breakfast joint – Cosi. The berries & oatmeal was fine – about right for $3. I went in with the intention of having a bagel sandwich on a squagel but after two weeks of eating at an all-you-can-eat fest, I decided to keep it simple. The Squagel is advertised as a way to add excitement to your morning! I’m not sure if the difference in shape cranked heart beat up at all, but I didn’t take a bite so who knows?

Cookies and Tomatoes-193I rather enjoy Fox and Obel’s Red Velvet Cupcake. I don’t know what they put in it, but it is fan-tastic. And this is coming from a chocolate fiend who had a chocolate cupcake with the red velvet! That, and a lot of the fun in the trip to Fox and Obel is staring at their beautifully crafted chocolates!


Overall, I haven’t had the best luck with breakfast joints in Chicago. I tried Bongo Room – but the epic French Toast was a little too epic and I felt quite ill for the rest of the day.

Mind you, I greedily chose the heaviest and sweetest item possible…and finished it:
Cookies and Tomatoes-195_thumb[2]

 then followed it with Giordano’s deep dish pizza:
Cookies and Tomatoes-196_thumb[2]
The French Toast was just swimming in sugar, cooked in sugar, and topped with more sugar.  And a few nuts. What was I thinking? Just looking at it makes my teeth hurt. The pizza was monstrous and just filled with cheese, cheese, and more cheese. I wimped out and spent the rest of the day in bed! Food fail on my part, really. After this, it became a mission to find good deep dish pizza…Chicago is known for it, and I refuse to believe that this was what everyone was raving about! I need to crank it up a notch in Chi-town.
 Bongo Room on UrbanspoonGiordano's on Rush on Urbanspoon
Cosi on UrbanspoonFox and Obel Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

hahah thanks for the BEAN plug, girl! I can't believe you devoured the entire portion of the french toast. Oh who am I kidding.. if anyone could do it, it would be you.

I have yet to have praise-worthy deep dish pizza...

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

hahah thanks for the BEAN plug, girl! I can't believe you devoured the entire portion of the french toast. Oh who am I kidding.. if anyone could do it, it would be you.

I have yet to have praise-worthy deep dish pizza...

Post a Comment