Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Optimus Rosemary Prime & KongBap

Most moms bring their children containers of pre-made meals, fruits, and vegetables. My mom? She brings me giant prime rib steaks. Boo yah. When done right, this is a delicious cut of meat, perfectly accompanied with kongbap.
When it comes to steak, I really enjoy a tasty, simply seasoned, well-seared cut. I rarely order steak in restaurants because I've discovered that I can do a great job for a fraction of the cost at home.

Kongbap
"Kong" is "bean" and "bap" is "rice". It's just as straightfoward to make. Simply soak a mixture of beans with rice then pop in the rice cooker! My choice of beans varies each time - red kidney beans, black beans, brown beans, red beans...I also like adding a handful of wild rice. Delicious and purple!
In a standard rice cooker, I use a 1:2 ratio. For 1 cup of mixture, I fill the cooker to line 2.

Soak beans overnight - this will ensure they are properly cooked and sprouted


Rosemary Prime Rib
Recent Discovery: Organic beef tastes so much better
  1. Bring the steak to room temperature. This helps standardize the cooking process and ensure even cooking. I typically only cook fresh steaks and it takes about 40 minutes for an average cut to get to room temperature.
  2. Rub canola oil on both sides, season with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and rosemary. If you don't have canola oil, choose an alternative that has a high smoking point. I learned this from experience when I lived in a little apartment with no fans and (quite unfortunately) no windows that didn't face a exhaust-fume filled parking garage just a few feet away. Ah. Life of a struggling student.
  3. Turn the oven on high. If you don't have a cast iron skillet (sigh - I need one), then a pan will do.
  4. I like my steak rare. The pinker the better. I probably wouldn't mind if it moo'd. To get this I sear the first side for 60 seconds, then the other for 30 seconds.
  1. Turn pan the lowest setting. Remove from pan, place in dish and cover while the steak "settles". Once you get the hang of it, you won't need to keep cutting and checking to assess the wellness so you can stop worrying about lost juices! Cover with aluminium foil.
  2. Sautee onion, garlic, and mushrooms
  3. Add a bit of broth - I'd say a cup should do. Then add a big splash of balsamic vinegar
  1. Using a wooden spatula, scrap up the delicious brown bits from the steak and let the liquid reduce. In meantime, the onions, mushrooms, and garlic will add to the flavour.


There's nothing like steak and rice (ya that's right rice not potatoes) with veggies on the side. The rosemary adds great flavour, but sometimes I just like the classic salt n' pepper. Om nom nom nom...

3 comments:

Althea said...

mmmm... i need more info on this kongbap. how long do you soak the bean rice mixture for? do you change out the water before you cook it? i want some!

Erin said...

I usually soak it overnight - some beans require up to 8 hours, they say. If I know I am going to make rice the next day, I just soak them before I go to bed, or in the morning [but I know that I'll forget in the morning so that's why I do it way ahead of time]. I change the water out - I suppose you lose nutrients that way, but it's habitual after washing rice. I also soak my brown rice, but put it in the same bowl as the beans closer to cooking time - maybe an hour before :). Kongbap is very forgiving when it comes to times, and I grew up eating it with my fam! Typical Korean staple...white rice was a "treat" when I was a kid haha

Althea said...

mmmm... i need more info on this kongbap. how long do you soak the bean rice mixture for? do you change out the water before you cook it? i want some!

Post a Comment