Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Friday, May 27, 2011

Guacamole :: The Perfect Condiment


What's fresher than lime and avocado? I don't buy avocados too often, but when I do, I often buy a sackful since it's much better deal. However, I usually only need 1 or 2 for a recipe (i.e. Avocado cupcakes!) so I'm left with a few that become very ripe at the same time. I could put them in the fridge, but they would eventually go bad. So I've started to just use the rest to make guacamole, and it serves me very well for so many things!


Make a batch ahead of time, and don't feel forced to use it all at once. I've been known to make a huge batch and just eat it - but try to restrain yourself! Like my baked veggies, simply having it ready and on hand uncovers so many delicious uses:

  • Condiments for burgers, wraps, sammies (Bacon-Avocado-Lettuce-Tomato. Trust me, you will never want a regular BLT sandwich again. Salty bacon + zippy avocado!)
  • Mixed with scrambled eggs. Bonus points if you put some crispy bacon in the scrambled eggs as well
  • Delicious baked potato topping. Did I mention that I like bacon?
  • Add in shakes for added creamy goodness. Why not add some bacon for a salty poke?
Over the years, I've played with numerous ingredients, however, my favourite combination is roughly:

2 Avocados
Juice from 1 lime or 4 tbsp lime juice
1/2 lime (zest)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp 
pureed garlic/2 finely chopped cloves
2 tsp cumin*
2 tbsp sundried tomato paste**
1 tomato (diced - roasting optional)
1 shallot (or a third/half of a regular onion)
1 finely chopped jalapeño
3 tbsp cilantro leaves (fresh, chopped)
1/2 red pepper (roasted, diced)
1 tbsp Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce (or a few shakes of Tabasco sauce)

* Cumin is key...yum
**This actually adds a really great kick
Someone recently recommended that I add orange juice. I just might!

Combine the avocado flesh, lime juice, zest, white pepper, kosher salt, white pepper, garlic, cumin, and pepper paste. I just use a fork - some people use potato mashers/whisks but I'm far too lazy. If you want a smooth consistency, a blender or a bit more patience while mashing will do. Taste, and adjust spices.

Add Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce (I grabbed a few bottles of these in Barbados, not sure where to find it in Toronto) or your favourite hot sauce if you so wish. Cayenne pepper is good too, but the Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce is perfect.

Once you're happy with the spices, fold in the tomato, shallot/onion, jalapeño, cilantro leaves, and roasted red pepper. Enjoy with chips, bonus points if they're blue corn tortilla chips (my fav!).

2 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

Some serious NOMMMMMM here.

I love guac.. I especially love it chunky and garlicy. <3

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

Some serious NOMMMMMM here.

I love guac.. I especially love it chunky and garlicy. <3

Post a Comment