Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sydney :: Ayam Goreng 99


Om nom nom nom. This was such a good post-kayak meal. I was on my way to Cafe Ish when I got this phone call:
K: What are you doing today?
Me: I don't know...
K: Perfect, you're going kayaking. See you in an hour.

Awesome
Ayam Goreng 99
Verdict: Mmm! Indonesian chicken win!
Meal: Post-kayak nosh
Location: 464 Anzac Parade Kingsford New South Wales 2032, Australia



Palm trees in the street!
Ohh...I regret not taking pictures of the kayaking adventure. It was a windy day, and we clambered on the kayaks...which were not really your traditional kayaks. Did I mention that I my swimming skills are...well almost non-existent?

It was a super-windy day and the currents were hard but we paddled around anyways with the goal of reaching K's friend's house. The man who rented thr open kayaks putted his boat over and told us to go in the other direction for safety's sake - M and I dutifully paddled away and talked about The Black Hoof not realizing that K's "stuff it" decision led him far far away...only to be reprimanded and lassoed onto the putter boat to be dragged back.


Paha Bakar (Charcoal Grilled Marinated Chicken Thighs)


Super moist, juicy, and aromatic. Y U M. The charcoal taste and the super moist chicken was such a great combination - wish I knew where to get this in Toronto!

Sate Ayam (Chicken Satay)
Peanut sauce, sweet soy sauce, and deep fried onions
Covered in peanut sauce, drizzled with soy sauce, and a generous tossing of deep fried shallots - it also had the tasty charcoal flavour that went so well with the juicy chicken.

Mmmm...5 sticks of mouth watering fall-off-the-skewer chicken. They grill these on charcoal! Oh my mouth is just watering thinking about these.

Nasi Rice Goreng Special
Fried Rice with Egg on top








Cah Kangkung
Stir-fried On Choy with Chili, Garlic, and Onions



On choy? I had no idea what this was. I've never seen this in Toronto - a quick google search suggests that it's definitely not common in traditional supermarkets...perhaps in Chinatown?

Aaaannnd this is when the food coma hit. I have no idea what it was. But rest assured, it was probably pretty delicious.


Never got over the novelty of Christmas trees everywhere
I actually have a permanent reminder of this day on my elbow. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point I scratched it bad enough to have the whole thing covered in dried blood in the evening. "uggh...blood" - I looked at what a fellow traveller was "ugh'ing" at and I realized he was staring at my elbow. Fantastic. Did I scratch it when I scrambled back to the change rooms, where I left everybody's cell phone in a dry sack..only to slip in the bathroom (a secret until now)? Was it when I tripped on the curb and literally fell into K's car, smacking myself on the side mirror? I often walk into walls and tables and forget about it - hm.

The good part? After cleaning my elbow, we chatted about our Oz plans and after a few minutes, we had high-fived and planned to meet up in Melbourne to do the Great Ocean Road! Loving the randomness.




Ozzie-Lessons:
1. Look left when jaywalking
2. Tomato sauce = ketchup. Do not squeeze it all over your face.

3. A flat white is foamy milk, espresso, and cute coffee art
4. I can't resist street food...ever
5. I can't afford mangoes
6. Delicious and fresh hand-pulled noodles exist outside of Hong Kong

7. Tooheys beer ≠ Tootheys
8. Random injuries can lead to random adventures
Ayam Goreng 99 on Urbanspoon


0 comments:

Post a Comment