Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Friday, April 15, 2011

Pho Mi 99 :: Bun Bo Hue...BOO


I decided to try yet another Vietnamese dish in my attempt to find something that I liked from this cuisine. The brunch #1 was okay (ignoring try #2), but I want to explore more soup/noodle dishes to enjoy at dinner! So I found myself at Pho Mi 99 on a late Thursday night and ordered Bun bo hue.

Pho Mi 99
Verdict: Skip. Flavourless and oily. Frustration!
Meal: Dinner
Price:
$15 + tax & tip

 Bun Bo Hue Fail

Result? Extremely disappointed and was tempted to throw in the towel for Vietnamese food. My friend insisted that he remembered this being a great dish in the past, and the place has either gone downhill or we went on an off-night. Okay, Toronto Vietnamese food. You have one more chance. Well, one more restaurant chance because my lovely friend claims she can make a mean Bahn Cuon Thanh Tri. Or maybe I'll try another brunch to remind myself that I can like your food before trying something new. Or...better yet, I think I'll just go to Vietnam!

There was very little flavour to the broth, and there was just a layer of red-coloured oil on top. I say red-coloured instead of a chili punch because there was nothing to it except the nasty mouthfeel that accompanied it.

There were cubes of congealed pig blood, thick rice noodles, slices of pork, and pig knuckles. I added mint leaves, red cabbage, and sprouts before squirting lime everywhere.

Very different in shake-form :s
I took a look at the spices and sauces on the side of the table, but decided that there was nothing could salvage this bowl. On the plus side, the durian shake was nice and refreshing...the complete opposite of the durian-swarm a few weeks ago. Tip: Do not open durian in a room that is surrounded by a serious corporate environment. You might get some wrinkled noses and "wtf"-faces.

So...the hunt for good Vietnamese food continues...

Next up: Pho. A Vietnamese friend recommended a place in Toronto...will check it out soon, B!

Pho Mi 99
Verdict: Skip. Flavourless and oily.
Meal: Dinner
Price: $15 + tax & tip
Pho Mi 99 on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

kiki's B.F.F said...

My fave pho place is Pho Tien Thanh

Vu said...

Muwahahah. Durian is my favourite weapon. I make sorbet as a side business and one day, I brought in durian sorbet as a sample to work. You can only imagine the look on some people's faces.

Vu said...

Muwahahah. Durian is my favourite weapon. I make sorbet as a side business and one day, I brought in durian sorbet as a sample to work. You can only imagine the look on some people's faces.

Post a Comment