Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches

Lately, I've been so busy with work that I have been neglecting friends. So finally, when things began to wind down, I was able to catch up with Sammy with some sammies!

Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches
Verdict: Beef brisket win!
Meal: Lunch/Dinner
Price: $10pp



Smoked Beef Brisket Sandwich 9 

The sandwiches were sweet, delightfully moist and tender, and very filling. My favourite was the beef brisket, followed closely by the pulled pork. The fish fillet, despite a rave recommendation, was a disappointment - but the chicken was juicy and soft.

Loutine, pulled pork poutine 8

The poutine looked deceptively big, but after we stabbed into it we discovered that the basket was a bit of a dome. My friend said that she wouldn't be able to finish all of it, but she did a great job...with some help from my greedy fork of course.

Pulled Pork Sandwich 7

I liked the pulled pork, but it was missing the smoke-y essence that I love about these type of sandwiches. The beef brisket was done a bit better, and I wish I ordered something else other than the fish fillet. Oh well - nothing ventured, nothing gained...right? Should've realized that nothing compared to my beloved The Fish Store's fish sammies :P

FIlet of Sole Sandwich 7
We gave it a generous slathering of Lou Dawg sauce and it was much improved!

3 meat sampler (10)






My friend ordered the 3 meat slider sampler which came with brisket, chicken, potato salad, and coleslaw. I'll be a chick for a second and "ooh" and "aww' over their tiny size!

I usally don't order sliders, but perhaps in Lou Dawg's case it's not a bad idea if you're on your own - I wasn't expecting to like the brisket so much more than the pulled pork! Plus, the quality of the meat should be consistent with the full sized sammies - unlike tiny, overcooked slider burgers that you can get at other restaurants.

The buns were nothing worth noting - it was your standard sandwich-like bun. Better than the supermarket type that many other places use, but not as good as Sweet Smoke's, or as my friend insists, Reggies.

Out of sheer curiousity, the jalapeño cheddar corn muffin was ordered...


Cheddar-jalapeño corn muffin 4

The cheddar-jalapeño muffin was lacking in flavour, so we ended up dipping it in hot sauce and their wonderful BBQ sauce. I really do wish it had more bite, as I was having hopeful flashbacks of the chocolate-jalapeno shake at The Bellevue and my Pumpkin-Chili Chocolate cookies. Ah well.

A decent spot for a sandwich, Lou Dawgs is one of the tastier options in the area for dinner and it's open until 3AM on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Service is consistently friendly and I like the interior quite a bit. In the fall, there a plethora of tiny little pumpkins littered all over the shop :-). (I'm still on my pumpkin kick - I mixed some with oatmeal the other day. WIN.)

Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches
Verdict: Beef brisket win!
Meal: Lunch/Dinner
Price: $10pp


Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment