Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little India :: Little Meh



Thick, creamy curries, crispy cardamom, and sweet sweet desserts are the constant draw of Indian food. I have learned not to have it for lunch, because without fail, I'll conk out by 3PM from the oh-so-delicious heaviness.
Little India
Verdict: Eh...won't be going back anytime soon
Meal: Dinner
Price: $20

Papadum & Pakoras

Pulao Rice
It was one of those days where you leave your mittens/gloves at home, forgetting how cold the evening get. Hands jammed in our jackets, we waddled into Little India for dinner. It was busy busy busy...which may explain the off-service that night. I was unpleasantly surprised - I enjoyed Little India in the past but the it was a big shrug that night.


Samosas

Naan
Now, I could go for a run down of every dish as usual with big pictures...but really? Let's be honest. A lot of them will look very similar due to the thick, creamy sauce. We started with Shrimp and Vegetable Pakoras - deep fried in chickpea batter but not particularly memorable. Same goes with the vegetarian samosas.

Followed by Butter Chicken, Aloo Gobi, and Palak Pancer. My friend decided to try a dish on her own, and ordered the Palak Pancer - she did not like it at all, unfortunately. I quite enjoy Little India's butter chicken - it's often the reason why I creep my way over there for their lunch buffet.

We also ordered lamb bhuna (tomato-based, with ginger, garlic, and spices), goan fish curry (coconut sauce, green chilis, cumin, and ginger), as well as a few other random dishes...

Not many things were memorable..the fish goan and the butter chicken. I bet that the Tandoori Platter would have been something to write about...if it actually came.
Dessert

I will admit that I left a little annoyed - not because they forgotten order, but more because the service that followed. It was the end of the dinner, and the group was rather large. I will admit that we noticed it's absence after the bill, which is when I alerted the waiter. He told another employee, and nothing was done. We felt avoided (received no eye contact, couldn't wave them down) until I got up. went to the cash register, and kindly asked what was to be done - and that's when the offer to cook it and pack it to go came. Hum. >15 minutes after the bill was settled...it's a good thing we were okay with just chatting and relaxing.

Salmon Tikka, Lamb Chops, Tandoori Chicken, Seek Kebab...reheated with my Saffron Rice and a pile of green chilis at home


Not sure if I'll be returning - the service is usually quite good so I probably will - but I certainly don't feel inclined to go any time soon. However, after this and Banjara's disappointment...I ought to re-explore the east end for Indian eats! Recs?

Little India Restaurant on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Gary said...

Funny, this has always been our standby Indian in the downtown, but our visit there last week was a bit disappointing. It wasn't terrible, the food was still pretty decent, but there were some misses and they seemed terribly understaffed and the usual friendly service was totally AWOL. By the time we got a chance to order beverages our meal was half over; by the time they arrived, we were basically done eating. The butter chicken which is their main draw was unusually sweet, like candy. Hopefully this is just an anomaly, I think they've earned a few more chances.

Erin said...

it's like we went to the same dinner :a. I agree that they've earned another chance...but I think that I'll still explore the east end first!

Gary said...

Funny, this has always been our standby Indian in the downtown, but our visit there last week was a bit disappointing. It wasn't terrible, the food was still pretty decent, but there were some misses and they seemed terribly understaffed and the usual friendly service was totally AWOL. By the time we got a chance to order beverages our meal was half over; by the time they arrived, we were basically done eating. The butter chicken which is their main draw was unusually sweet, like candy. Hopefully this is just an anomaly, I think they've earned a few more chances.

Post a Comment