Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, April 13, 2011

5AM Baking :: Avo-choco-cado Cupcakes & Avocado Lime Icing


5AM Cupcake Cones!

If beets are vegetable candy, let's call avocados vegetable butter. It's delicious in sandwiches - I actually prefer it over butter. If you've never tried it, I demand that you run to your kitchen right now and make yourself a bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich with toasted bread and a generous slathering of avocado. YUM.


I decided to adapt a typical chocolate cupcake recipe by incorporating avocado. Success! Here's a quick recipe.
Here is what I used, as usual play around with the ingredients, please take the "amounts" with a grain of salt - I did this on a whim and eyeballed most of it :-)

Avo-choco-cado Cupcakes & Avocado Icing 
I love giving my food dorky titles

  



Cupcakes
1
2 tsp
2 cups
2 tsp
2 tsp
2 tbsp
3 cups
6 tbsp
1/4 cup
1/2 tsp
2 tsbp
Very ripe avocado
Vanilla Extract
Sugar
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
White Vinegar
Baking Flour
Cocoa Powder
Butter (softened)
Sea Salt
Lime Juice

Icing
1
Very ripe avocado
Icing Sugar
Lime Zest
Lime Juice

Avo-choco-cado Cupcakes!

Step 1: Mix the avocado, softened butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth
Step 2: Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
Step 3: Add dry ingredients to Step 1, whisk until smooth. I added lime juice, to get it some "zip".
Also added some chocolate chips in this iteration
Step 4: Pour batter into cupcake liners. Or, in my case, ice cream cones! I like to add treats on the bottom - walnuts, blueberries, dark chocolate...the possibilitie are endless! I turn cupcake liners upside down as "skirts" tell help keep them upright.


Step 5: Bake at 350F ~22-25 min (poke them with a fork/toothpick - once they come out clean you're good!

Icing

I pretty much did the usual - except instead of butter I just used avocado. It turned out to be fantastic! I just mashed up the butter, added lime juice and zest, and then kept adding sugar until I had the sweetness/consistency that I wanted. It was looking pretty ugly until I got the brilliant idea of using a Magic Bullet to smooth it out. I pipetted the icing with a ziplock baggie, and ta-da! I was so pleased.
sweet, creamy, avocado-y goodness




I also learned to NOT put watery fruit on the bottom of the cupcake...

...because it'll look gross...!

...but it's delicious incorporated into the batter!

Left: Raspberry-chocolate win!  Right: Packing undecorated treats for a charity bake sale :-)

3 comments:

Div said...

Love it ... Now I wish I had tired this cone idea when I baked my banana nutella brownies the other day ... ah well I will make sure I do it next time... !!

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

Cupcake cones!?! why that's genius!!

Div said...

Love it ... Now I wish I had tired this cone idea when I baked my banana nutella brownies the other day ... ah well I will make sure I do it next time... !!

Post a Comment