Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sydney :: Erciyes, Turkish Pide, okay!


I can't believe it! Oh Cookies & Tomatoes, so neglected. Life has been incredibly busy and I've been lacking the patience to deal with my cranky laptop [which is making an inexplicably loud whirring noise as I write]. Fortunately, I was able to extract the photos off the old dinosaur so we can get rolling again...I could have updated with a Toronto post, but I was so adamant about getting an Ozzie one that I kept waiting for this chance!

Now this was an interesting find for several reasons. Firstly, let's not forget my pizza fetish. But, more importantly,  I received a lovely message from an Aussie awhile back: "Thank you for your map. I was freaking out about not being able to find any good food while in TO on biz. I'm a google map-fanboy and finding your foodie map has made my day."

I can't tell you how much this made me smile. This was exactly why I started this blog - to share food! Yay!

Erciyes Turkish Restaurant
Verdict: Pizza Pide! 
Meal: Lunch 
Price: $12 


Well. Here's the amazing part. He made me a food map for Sydney! Oh boy! I was so excited. As I browsed through his suggestions, I came across a pin on Erciyes with the following description:

"For guests from North America, I don't think you will have had Turkish like this Turkish. Heard of pide (pronounced pee-day)? Or Turkish pizza?"


Could  you say no? So after wandering around Surry Hills, I found myself in this take-away/restaurant and watched them prepare pide after pide...

Ooh...I'll forever mark this moment as the start of the Australia Food Baby. *pat pat*

I ordered a Kusbasili Pide, which had lamb, onion, tomato, capsicum (bell pepper!), parsley and spices. The guy behind the counter seemed amused when I asked him what capsicum was, and moreso when I took a picture of him preparing my pide. Sigh. Looking at these photos make me realize how badly I need a new camera - as time goes by you will notice a considerable downgrade in quality...I dropped my camera in a glacier. FYI. But that's a story for the future...


The Pide was exactly as advertised - a pizza and not a bad snack. I wasn't expecting an OMG meal and after 19+ hours on a plane, this hit the spot. Alka-Seltzer moment: I can't believe I ate the who-o-o-le thing!


Oh yes. I will shamelessly admit that I have 2 very "non-foodie-approved" noshes when travelling - I love trying different drinks (even crappy soda - don't ask me why) and...McDonalds. Unfortunately, McDs in Oceania isn't as interesting as Asia, so no pics were taken on this trip :P. Funny how certain aversions fly out the window (as my cholesterol zips upwards) when I travel.
Anyways, as I greedily downed my pide, I contemplated over a map (being the great planner that I am, I arrived without a clue) when a local kindly offered to give me some ideas. We hopped over to Cossies for my first Flat White and talked about what there was to do in Oz - what a pleasant greeting to Sydney :-)
Right: O's Cappuccino
Left: My Flat white. Australian/New Zealand coffee made from the foamy milk, espresso, and nice art. Quite certain that this can also be found at Te Aro, as I now recognize it as a suburb in Wellington, NZ!
Cossies Cafe on UrbanspoonErciyes on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

gautam lamba said...

There is some decent Pide in Toronto. How was this compared to T.Dot's offerings?

Erin said...

For the life of me, I can't remember. It was awhile ago - but I suppose Toronto's pide was not memorable. I wouldn't say that this one was either, in particular, other than the fact that I was so exited to be in Sydney, but it was simple and tasty.

Erin said...

For the life of me, I can't remember. It was awhile ago - but I suppose Toronto's pide was not memorable. I wouldn't say that this one was either, in particular, other than the fact that I was so exited to be in Sydney, but it was simple and tasty.

Post a Comment