Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Asia Pizza & Bolani :: Afghan Flatbread Meh


This was a really random nosh. Despite the fact that it's right across from a Korean dumpling house I've frequented in Mississauga, I never noticed it until that night. The name of the place itself is a little odd, and I had never even heard of a Bolani...but I am always on the lookout for something new.

Asia Pizza And Bolani
Verdict: Eh. I'd say skip.
Meal: Pre-dinner snack
Price: 3.99


I was a little puzzled with the variety offerings - pizza, chicken wings, garlic bread...bolani and kabobs? Served with "mom's special sauce", they offer potato, pumpkin, leek, and ground beef bolani for $3.99. We chose leek, which came on a paper plate. We ate one right on the spot, and stuffed the rest in a take-out pizza bag. It is shaped like pizza, served like pizza, taken out like pizza...but it's certainly not pizza.

It didn't help that the bolani wasn't particularly fresh. It came with two sauces - my friend liked the yogurt-y one, whereas I preferred the vinegar-y red one a bit more.

I wish he had a stand outside my work!
Anyways, it wasn't bad but it does not compare to my beloved murtabak-guy that I visit at every food festival. I'm seriously addicted to them and the sauces. He makes a regular appearance at the Asian Night Markets, Dragonboat festivals, and even Nuit Blanche. Or maybe he just makes a point of figuring out where I'm going to be because he knows I drag everyone over there! Spicy, tasty goodness. I like both the beef and chicken but I usually go for beef.

I think that I would enjoy the bolani if it was just seasoned a bit more and was fresh. If you're curious, try one with this coupon to save 50 cents. Otherwise, I really didn't find anything special about it. My lack of excitement for the bolani and the fact that I'm writing this at 1:30AM is totally translating in this post...Gute Nacht!

Asia Pizza And Bolani
Verdict: Eh. I'd say skip.
Meal: Pre-dinner snack
Price: 3.99
Asia Pizza and Bolani on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

sasgirl said...

My husband is Afghan and we're regulars at the store next door - Asia bakery which is where we buy Afghan bread (naan) from there every week and freeze it as we buy a lot! :)

We tried the bolani too when it first opened and it was meh too back then and we have never gotten it again. But if you are ever in the Pickering area, my sister-in-law always gets takeout bolani from Khawar, it's right at the intersection of Kingston and Brock Rd, northwest corner just across from the police station. Their sign is green. The best part is the white chutney that comes with it, it's so good and spicy!

I'm a fan of your blog and was glad to see a review of a place that we go to frequently so I decided to comment. :)

Erin said...

Great tip! I really do want to try good bolani :)
Aww thanks so much, that's so sweet of you! Glad I reviewed one of your regular spots!

sasgirl said...

My husband is Afghan and we're regulars at the store next door - Asia bakery which is where we buy Afghan bread (naan) from there every week and freeze it as we buy a lot! :)

We tried the bolani too when it first opened and it was meh too back then and we have never gotten it again. But if you are ever in the Pickering area, my sister-in-law always gets takeout bolani from Khawar, it's right at the intersection of Kingston and Brock Rd, northwest corner just across from the police station. Their sign is green. The best part is the white chutney that comes with it, it's so good and spicy!

I'm a fan of your blog and was glad to see a review of a place that we go to frequently so I decided to comment. :)

Post a Comment