Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Friday, February 25, 2011

Kensington Natural Bakery :: Chocolate Cookie Crusade #8


4 cookies, 3 chocolate chips, 2 disappointments, 1 perpetually hungry girl, 0 Compañero

I enjoyed their baked treats (pie and applie danish) and a wide variety of friendly takeout, so one of their cookies seemed worthy of the Chocolate Cookie Crusade. At $1 each, I greedily picked up four cookies...without my Compañero de Galletas (aka the voice of reason), I really have no sense of self control...at least they were vegan?

Kensington Natural Bakery

Verdict: Rice spelt cookie win - but it took 4 cookies to get there! 
Meal: Cookie Run (Chocolate Cookie Crusade Series) 
Price: $1 each 
Location: 460 Bloor St W Toronto, ON


I looked at the little sign in front of these: "No dairy, no eggs, no sugar, no aluminium (? is there usually Al in cookies??) and all natural." I picked up two cookies: Carob and chocolate chip, both oatmeal-based.

Spelt Oatmeal Carob Chip Cookie ($1)



Carob is not Chocolate




I've heard about carob ("nature's chocolate!") so I picked one up out of curiousity. I discovered that carob isn't sweet at all, but I can see why people say that it's akin to chocolate. Either way, I was not a fan - nothing about this cookie was sweet so I would hesitate to even call it a cookie. Hmph. Sorry M :P



Spelt Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie ($1)




Hard & Dry


I like oatmeal, spelt, and chocolate chips so I was looking forward to trying this. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the texture, and it was a little too hard for my taste. I wished I had a glass of chocolate soy milk to help wash this down.

Disappointed, I headed to the cash register to pay when more cookies caught my eye. I couldn't resist picking up a couple more, and without the sensible Compañero de Galletas, there was nothing stopping me...


Temptation!


I almost picked up a "Super Healthy Cookie" but I decided that if I was going to be a cookie pig, I might as well go all out.

Spelt Chocolate Chip ($1)





This cookie was crumbly and not too sweet. It had a good bite, but the fact that the dough was not overly sweet (i.e. Starbucks cookies) made me appreciate the chocolate chips more. I ended up enjoying this, and was pleased that I gave it a try.

Rice Chocolate Chip ($1)
Win!


I liked this the best out of the bunch - the flavour of the cookie was much tastier in a rice-y sweet way that mingled well with the chocolate chips. My friend also tried one and he called it magnifique...and I must agree. For a cookie void of butter and oil, the texture was quite lovely and I think that I'd like to try using rice flour in one of my future recipes. I like how smooth it was, yummy.

Compañero de Galletas, I miss you =(. Cookies aren't the same with your good company.

Kensington Natural Bakery
Verdict: Rice spelt cookie win - but it took 4 cookies to get there! 
Meal: Cookie Run (Chocolate Cookie Crusade Series) 
Price: $1 each 
Location: 460 Bloor St W Toronto, ON


Chocolate Chip Cookies



Wanda's Pie in the Sky
Fully Loaded Cookie
Yum! 2nd place
Orange Alert, $2.19
Crazy Cookie
Not so crazy about it
Sage Café
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Nice chocolate chunks, good crunchy cookie if that's what you want.




Tim Horton's Smile Cookie, $1
Chocolate Smile Cookie for SickKids
Warm, soft, proceeds for worthy charity, good for the soul
Little Nicky's Coffee $2
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Sweeter, crispier cookie
Te Aro, $1.60
  Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Cookie
Just liked the sea salt addition.




Kensington Natural Bakery, $1
Rice Chocolate Chip Cookie
Smooth, crumbly, yummy
Le Gourmand, $2 + tax & tip
  Walnut Chocolate Chip
Win Win WIN!!!



Kensington Natural Bakery on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

Mers said...

Cools! I've tried some of their cookies. I find alot of them a tad dry. But I haven't tried the rice chocolate chip cookie yet!

You know what's awesome though? Their freshly baked breads! I'm enjoying a loaf of farmer's rye right now... so sad it's not dark rye, but it's still good! I saw some of your sandwich posts, I think you'll be proud of my own yummy lunch creation today:

spicy hummus and broccoli between two pieces of farmer's rye bread from kensington bakery! It was SO good, tomorrow I'll throw a tomato in.
(I mixed chopped broccoli into the hummus so it would be a thick mixture... kind of like egg salad, minus the egg, minus the mayo)

gautam lamba said...

Two things:
1. Try the weird Cookie at Jedd's frozen custard on Yonge (north of eglinton)

2. are you hiring new campanero's/people who love to try good food? If so, I am available!

Erin said...

aw :) are you going to the get together @ Campagnolo in April?

gautam lamba said...

As of now...No. I am going to hit Beast and/or Origin some time soon!

Erin said...

Was NOT a fan of Origin...or Beast's brunch btw...I heard Beast's dinner is quite good though!

Anonymous said...

you should try Sweet Gallery's crinkle cookie (its choco heavenly chewy and sweet) in the distillery district.

and then hop next door to soma chocolate's and sip on their famous spicy mayan hot chocolate. :) enjoy

Anonymous said...

i forgot to add... (you have made me become a cookie monster) starbucks cookies are pretty damn good if you get them warmed up properly.

definitely recomment the white choc mac nut and choco chip, make sure u ask them to warm it up! definitely a very sweet and buttery cookie quick fix.

Erin said...

Oooh...I love Soma's spicy hot chocolate but I have never tried Sweet Gallery!! Mmm...thats on my list for sure :)

Anonymous said...

i forgot to add... (you have made me become a cookie monster) starbucks cookies are pretty damn good if you get them warmed up properly.

definitely recomment the white choc mac nut and choco chip, make sure u ask them to warm it up! definitely a very sweet and buttery cookie quick fix.

gautam lamba said...

As of now...No. I am going to hit Beast and/or Origin some time soon!

Mers said...

Cools! I've tried some of their cookies. I find alot of them a tad dry. But I haven't tried the rice chocolate chip cookie yet!

You know what's awesome though? Their freshly baked breads! I'm enjoying a loaf of farmer's rye right now... so sad it's not dark rye, but it's still good! I saw some of your sandwich posts, I think you'll be proud of my own yummy lunch creation today:

spicy hummus and broccoli between two pieces of farmer's rye bread from kensington bakery! It was SO good, tomorrow I'll throw a tomato in.
(I mixed chopped broccoli into the hummus so it would be a thick mixture... kind of like egg salad, minus the egg, minus the mayo)

Post a Comment