Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy 2011 from Sydney!

Sunrise on New Years Day - Bondi Beach
I must apologize - my last post was full of optimism that I would keep updating this site along my travels. I have been writing offline, but since I love visuals nothing has been posted yet! It will be interesting when I return - going through the my posts and adding pictures will be a wonderful way to reflect upon this trip Rest assured that I've been eating my face off - a little alarming actually. ("Eating your face off? That expression makes no sense. It's disturbing" - German girl at a hostel) Australia has been an amazing journey. I've met the most incredible people and fallen in love with this country. I started in Sydney, made my way to Melbourne, up to the Great Barrier Reef, then travelled along the East Coast until I returned to this wonderful city! I've swam with sea turtles, spotted wild koalas, eaten kangaroo, and danced in the rain. It's been an incredible experience - exceeded all expectations. I am New Zealand-bound quite soon. I can't explain how I feel just contemplating how that adventure will unfold. While I do not have time to publish something proper, I thought that I'd at least show you a few things that I've been enjoying in Oz =)
Sydney, New South Wales Curry Beef Tiger Pie Harry's Cafe de Wheels, Woolloomooloo Curried beef topped with mushy peas, mashed potatoes, and gravy Great after a good night out, even better when accompanied by a Hot Dog de Wheels
Airlie Beach, Queensland Moreton Bay Mud Crab Fish D'vine & Rum Bar, The Esplanade The waitress was both shocked and impressed that the plate was spotless after I ate this. It was seriously wiped clean - not a single morsel was left. One word: Da-yam.
Noosa, Queensland The home of a lovely family :) Vegemite! Do not attempt to eat this stuff on it's own. Best enjoyed on a toasted slice of bread or rice cracker slathered with butter then topped with a bit of vegemite. I found it amusing when I got an "eeewww" reaction with I mixed it with peanut butter. Mixed with butter, it has a nice, salty flavour.
Coff's Harbour, New South Wales Frozen Banana, The Big Banana This is pretty self explanatory. Canadians are no stranger to giant statues - and in my youth I visited several while road tripping. Ah, nostalgia.
It has been an amazing start to 2011 so far. I watched the fireworks surrounded by people all over the world. We laughed, hugged, and kissed cheeks while celebrating the end of an amazing year. A few of us ran down to the beach and relaxed on the grassy hill while listening to the end of a huge NYE party then walked to the nearby cliffs to watch the sunrise. A friend's guitar was passed around and it a breathtaking moment to watch the sun slowly rise with music. While I'd love to keep this blog up to date like many other travellers, I just feel that every moment that I'm indoors looking at a computer screen I could be having an adventure...so, aside from perhaps another update or two from New Zealand and maybe a couple of my pre-written Toronto posts I shall be a little disconnected for the next while. For now, I leave you with one of my favourite memories of this trip thus far:
Thank you for sharing this moment with me =) Happy 2011 everyone! Erin

16 comments:

Brian Yee said...

Erin it looks like you had/having a great vacation. And the food looks amazing. Luckyy. =)

AJO said...

Awesomeness in Australia! You are my here Erin!!

Definitely giving me inspiration for my travels. Hope you are having a great time and enjoy the time when you go to NZ. When are you ever coming back!?

Erin said...

Maybe never?! haha just kidding. Should be back in mid February. The transition will be interesting...
Glad to have inspired =)

Brian Yee said...

you're gone for that long? Alright, when you're back we need to go on some food adventures together. Stay safe over there.

Erin said...

Deal =)

Mers said...

Happy 2011! Glad to see that you are having fun and eating well!
just heard it is flooding in australia today... Hope you are no where near Queensland!

Erin said...

Thanks! I was in Queensland earlier. It rained non-stop from Dec 22 to Dec 29 of my travels - isn't that intense? However, I enjoyed beautiful weather before that, and it often only rained when I was in transit :D

I escaped from Queensland (NE of Oz) and the weather brightened in New South Wales (just south of Queensland) just in time for a great start to 2011. Lucky me :)

Well, I leave for New Zealand in just a few hours. As I'm not sure what the Internet situation will be like in Kiwi-land this may be the last you hear from me for awhile...again :P If I get a good data plan, perhaps I will keep in touch a little better this time! This evening, I will be enjoying dinner with 2 other travellers in Wellington. Take care, everyone!

Cat said...

Looks awesome Erin! Glad to read you are having fun on your tour. My first thought at Curry Beef Tiger Pie was "oh Australian poutine".

Michael said...

was wondering why you weren't Foodspotting anymore... you moved! hope you take more pics of all the good stuff you're eating over there. :)

Chops

Mers said...

how goes it? i hope the cyclone in Aus didn't hit you!

Erin said...

the floods kind of hit me, but I ran away to NZ just in time :D Writing this from a little town called Lawrence! Beautiful country :D

Mers said...

wow... i'm glad you're safe! i heard Queensland was hit really badly! but it can't be that bad now, since they haven't really mentioned it again!

you seem to like that part of the world, do you plan to come back to Canada?

Erin said...

There were cyclones more recently :( Not the best weather for backpacking, that's for sure! Yes, I love this side of the world - New Zealand is ridiculously wonderful. While I can easily envision myself living there, Canada will always be my home. I'll come back soon, and start to update my blog properly...been eating my way through these countries :P Just came in from a double-dinner blitz with another perpetually hungry traveller! Lots of stories to share, I can't wait

Cat said...

Looks awesome Erin! Glad to read you are having fun on your tour. My first thought at Curry Beef Tiger Pie was "oh Australian poutine".

Erin said...

Maybe never?! haha just kidding. Should be back in mid February. The transition will be interesting...
Glad to have inspired =)

AJO said...

Awesomeness in Australia! You are my here Erin!!

Definitely giving me inspiration for my travels. Hope you are having a great time and enjoy the time when you go to NZ. When are you ever coming back!?

Post a Comment