Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Friday, November 12, 2010

WOW Korean :: Meaty Pork Bone Soup YEAH

Gamjatang!

I rarely order certain Korean dishes at restaurants. Mandu (dumplings) are usually lacking in flavour and a good meat/veggie ratio. Japchae (cold glass noodles) is usually skimpy on the veggies and beef. Ddukbokgi (spicy rice cakes) is always made from pre-frozen cakes and overpriced for something that takes me less than 10 minutes to make at home. The state of downtown gamjatang (Pork Bone Soup) is downtright depressing. I've been snobbified by my own cooking and trips to South Korea. However, one night I found myself in Mississauga and gave WOW Korean's pork bone soup a try.

WOW Korean
Verdict: Go! Meaty pork, packed pancake, fixable-broth.
Meal: Dinner
Price: ~$10 Pork Bone Soup


Pork Bone Soup (Gamjatang)


I was immediately pleased when this arrived. It was meaty and tender - which has not been the case in restaurants downtown. Kachi and Owl of Minerva are very popular - but take a look at the picture above! They don't offer this much meat or spices. The only downer was the lack of heat in the broth - but I'm quite sure that this could easily be fixed upon request. On the plus side, without the heat I was able to take in more of the flavours from the broth and appreciate it's uber-win over downtown bowls that much more. I wish there was more than one potato, but perhaps it was for the best because I also devoured:

Seafood Pancake (Haemul Panjeon)


This is yet another dish that I hardly order from Korean restaurants. I was really taking my chances, but the risks paid off! This was perfectly crispy and chock-full of calamari. Not little chopped up bits, but full well-cooked tentacles. The pancake was thick and fluffy on the inside, riddled with green onions, and arrived sizzling hot. Great find. The ones I've tried downtown were skimpy on the fillings, spongy at best, and very thin and oily in comparison.

I'm quite honestly surprised with this find. I wasn't expecting to find two great dishes in a quiet joint in Mississauga.


It was a nice little spot, a typical mom & pop Korean restaurant, and very quiet (it was a Thursday night). The banchan wasn't that great - in fact I disliked the cabbage kimchi and the pototoes quite a bit. The seaweed and the radish kimchi were fine. But the gamjatang was so tasty that I took one to go for a friend. She gleefully chowed down, and thought the level of heat was perfect. So, perhaps the spice-level is good for some...but needs to be cranked up a notch for me!

WOW Korean
Verdict: Go! Meaty pork, packed pancake, fixable-broth.
Meal: Dinner
Price: ~$10 Pork Bone Soup

8 comments:

Exploded Daniel said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO why does this have to be in Mississauga? Bloor st. west why have you forsaken us?!??!

The Food Junkie said...

I frequent WOW with my family since I live in Mississauga. They are consistent with the quality of their food so we always go. I order the soon tofu deal ($7.99) most of time and my parents would always order the pork bone soup. I also order the spicy rice cakes as appetizer too :) Great to see that you blogged about WOW ^_^

Kristy said...

I've been a fan of Owl of Minerva and Seoul Restaurant that serves cook-your-self pork bone soup. But THIS!! This is so drool-worthy!!! Mmmmm...my mouth is really watering right now. Too bad this is in Missisauga :(

Erin said...

Ya!! I wish it was downtown!
I've completely given up on Bloor St. West. Even the walnut cakes have been disappointing as of late. When I was a kid, the area had great spots for Korean beef brisket soup and wang mandu (giant Korean dumplings). Now it's just a cheapy spot for the student crowd. Why Why WHY?!
Glad you frequent WOW, Food Junkie. It was so quiet when I went!

jessicalettucetomato said...

I've eaten at a lot of the places on Bloor, and by far the best pork bone soup is at Seoul restaurant. Deep, rich, delicious broth. None of the other places compare!

Erin said...

Ya? I went there last week actually, but not for the pork bone soup. Perhaps that will be my order the next time I go! Cute name by the way...it has a nice ring to it. "erinlettucetomato" would not work as well :)

The Food Junkie said...

Hi Erin. Yeah, Unfortunately its always pretty quiet there. I hope it continues to stay in business =)

jessicalettucetomato said...

I've eaten at a lot of the places on Bloor, and by far the best pork bone soup is at Seoul restaurant. Deep, rich, delicious broth. None of the other places compare!

Post a Comment