Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday Thoughts

Originally in previous post about Bulk Packing Salads, I decided to move the following here. I found that I kept clicking edit to add thought after thought. It's a quiet Thursday morning, and I am feeling a little more rambly than usual.

I came across this article yesterday from the Globe and Mail, which I found interesting. Aside from tasty dishes, what influences your decision to dine at particular restaurant? Would you be more inclined to eat somewhere if they publicized concern for animal welfare, try to be environmentally-conscious, or concentrated on a certain ethnicity for political reasons?

I can see myself going out of the way to visit St. John's Bakery, and I enjoyed many Smile Cookies, but both are influenced by charitable causes. I promised to visit Lucien with a friend, and the localvore feel of the menu really interests me. However, politics and food? I've never given it much thought.


I made a creamy vegetable soup yesterday - the first time I've ever done something like that! I usually stick to making Korean soups or basic stocks with meats and vegetables. It was completely unintentional and turned out great. Will share soon. I'm still a stranger to so many basics in the kitchen, but I feel like I'm learning and I am not afraid to experiment!

I make a mean pork bone soup
The fun thing is that so many people are just as lost as I am in the kitchen (although I've improved quite a bit over the last few years) and I enjoy fulfilling post requests for things many people find simple, such as peeling mangoes and sweating eggplant. Last night, a friend asked me to do a quick one on roasting beets, and this past weekend I showed another how to bake acorn squash (in person, but we took pictures!). Sure, they can look it up on the Internet but isn't it more fun to learn together?.

Look J, I even had a picture in my summer archives!
Meant to be? :P
Hopefully as time goes on, my skills will evolve & improve and I will keep blogging about this process. If you're interested, watch me learn, play, fail, and succeed. The basics must be mastered, but I still want to be creative in my kitchen. I have a feeling that I will ultimately stick to simple, homey cooking....and things that I can make in mass quantities. Perhaps one day, I'll be able to cook as adventurously as foodbomb (one of my favourite blogs!) or be able to create something as lovely as both the food and creative video he posted from Griottes. Here's hoping.

I wish you a tasty and wonderful Thursday!

3 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

that IS a mean pork bone soup. Christmas colours!!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I have the exact toy from Mcdonalds!!! Its totally old-school! I have the whole set... carrot, eggplant, cucumber, and some red veggie

Keep up the awesomeness!

Erin said...

HAHaha! Thanks! Yes, I love these little guys. McDonalds used to make the best toys...

Post a Comment