Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sukhothai :: Oh My Pad Thai


Hi, Pad Thai!

Note: Sukhothai's Chef Nuit has since moved to Khao San Road on Adelaide.


After a positive experience at Pi-Tom's, my interest in Thai food was re-ignited. Satisfied that  ketchup-y pad thais are not the traditional norm, I was happy to explore other spots downtown. A strong recommendation led me to:

Sukhothai
Verdict:  Yum! Best Thai experience :)
Meal: Dinner

Price: $20 + tax & tip
Location: 274 Parliament St Toronto, ON


Thai Iced Tea
It's certainly not located in the most convenient location, but it was surprisingly packed for a late night dinner. The two of us took a small table on the side and we started with Thai Iced Tea - a bright orange drink made with Thai tea and what I'm guessing was condensed milk. Yum. This wold be great on a hot summer night. I let the Sukhothai-veteran take care of the ordering. 


Deep Fried Butterfly Shrimp

These were nicely deep fried - light, crispy, and fresh. It came with a sweet and sour sauce, which was great with the butterflied shrimp. I was pretty impressed with this simple starter - even the plating was nice.
It came with a sweet and sour garlic sauce. I secretly wished that I had a little jar to take some of this home.
I was not expecting this from a little restaurant at Parliament and Dundas, and I was really looking forward to the next dish...

Pad Thai ($10.25)
Stir-fried rice noodles in a light taramind-based sauce with eggs, chives, tofu, shallots, and beansprouts.


Oh man. Move over Pi-Tom, helloooo Sukhothai Pad Thai. The generous helping of noodles were really fresh and the taramind was light with just the right amount of marinade. We got it with chicken, and again - very neat plating and good execution. Great dish!!

Khao Soi ($10.25)
Yellow noodles in curry gravy with green onions, coriander and a light, crispy noodle topping. 
Beef, Curry-Gravy, Coconut Milk, Crispy Noodles...mmm
This was oh-so-good yet oh-so-heavy. At first, I found it really savoury and tasty, especially from the generous dose coconut milk in the "curry gravy". Then I felt that it was weighing me down, and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. However, hours later I was still thinking of the delicious coconut milk-infused flavour and was wishing that I saved the curry gravy to pour all over my rice the next day. It was just that good. This was the complete opposite effect that  Kenzo Ramen's Ji Su Men ramen had. Instead of being left ickulously-full and never wanting to order it again Sukhothai's Pad Thai left me feeling very satiated, but craving it like mad later on.

Topped with crispy noodles, this had big bites of beef, veggies, and yellow noodles.
The description read: A specialty from Northern Thailand, it’s got a lot of texture and even more flavour.". I must agree. The picture on the right was a chili-oil that added more heat.
 

I love noodles! Crispy and fresh in one bowl of curry gravy goodness?! Yay!

The benefits of going somewhere with a well-known regular: We got something off the menu!

Wild Beef & Ginger - Special :-)

Yummm...so much ginger and beef in a sweet sauce and a generous heap of veggies. I was satisfied and happy by the time we polished off this dish.

Last but not least was dessert! I'm such a sucker for dessert. It was the end of the night, so they were unfortunately out of Cassava Cake, which my friend swears is amazing but I was happy to try:

Tapiocca with coconut milk ($3)

I actually liked the tapioca!
I never order tapioca in my bubble tea - not a fan of the consistency as it's often not fresh or cooked very well. I was a little wary of an entire bowl of this and coconut milk but I'm always up for trying anything! Instead of the giant black balls I was expecting, we received little clear pearls in deliciously warm coconut milk with strips of coconut. Thankfully, it was served in a bowl with two spoons - if it was handed to me in a take-away cup with a straw I'd be in trouble!

The service was really friendly - not just because my friend is a regular. Everyone around us got the same treatment and attention. I was really happy to find this little spot on Parliament and can't wait to try more of their menu. They also do delivery!

Rumours have been swirling - the lovely Chef Nuit is apparently opening her place in the downtown core this year! This will be dangerous for me, as I could probably guzzle her Khao Soi everyday for lunch and dinner. And breakfast. And Midnight Snacks. I will stop blogging, or perhaps just start updating with a daily Khao Soi picture..thus ending Cookies&Tomatoes. First Chef Ken & Sushi Couture ... now Chef Nuit & her own spot? Perhaps this is a new trend - Toronto's best chefs are grabbing the reigns! I can't wait to hear more - and I'll share the news as soon as I do!

Sukhothai
Verdict:  Yum! Best Thai experience :)
Meal: Dinner

Price: $20 + tax & tip
Location: 274 Parliament St Toronto, ON
Sukhothai on Urbanspoon

22 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

What?! another good thai food place in Toronto? I didn't think we have too many of those here!

desiretoacquire said...

oh my... I may have to venture to Parliament for the Khao Soi alone.

Kristy said...

I came here because Salad King was closed (when is it going to re-open?!?!?!) And I agree with you, Beef Khao Soi is da' bomb! I'm not a big fan of curry and the first time I tried this dish, I was overwhelmed by the amount of sweetness and thickness the soup had. So I didn't finish the dish and DID NOT ask to take the left over home.

BAD DECISION.

I was craving for it for a week straight. So I came back and ordered the infamous Khao Soi. I had to share it with a friend. We managed to finish the entire bowl and left the place feeling stuffed. We swore we would never go back for at least 2 months. But we did... 2 weeks later :p

Great review as always!! I must try the milk tea and tapioca dessert next time :)

The Food Junkie said...

Sukhothai is my favourite Thai restaurant =) I ordered the garlic chicken, khao soi and pad thai...everything was amazing! I especially liked the garlic chicken, so crispy ~ Haven't tasted anything quite like it.

cat said...

now I feel bad that I never went there when I lives a few blocks over...I will have to go in a few weeks on my next trek into the city

Div said...

Omg I am craving thai food now ...
Though I must say tomorrow I am going to Korea town to have first experice with BiBim Bap after seeing the amazing pictures on your blog ... can't wait ... !!! So excited !!

Brian Yee said...

pi-tom's is.... okay but the curry is very weak for a thai place. But now this place, this place looks good Erin. Might have to stop by based on your recommendation, thanks. =)

Erin said...

Yes!! You all must venture down there for a try :) I heard that it depends on the chef though, if Chef Nuit isn't there apparently it's not as good. I'll keep my ears open and report when I hear of her new restaurant too.

I'm glad! Before Pi-Tom's, my Thai experience was limited to Spring Rolls and such. Pi-Toms was great relative to that...but Sukhothai blew it all away!

Kristy - your experience is hilariously similar to mine. Something about it just lingered with me too!

Div, report back :) New York City must have awesome food...so jealous.

Roxanne Isles said...

This is really off the beaten path. Must make the trek to go try the food. Thanks for the tip about the chef.

Matt said...

Sukhothai's food is all amazing--if I actually lived nearby I'd probably go about.. every day!

BUT the service is not great. More specifically, the service downstairs. Since it's busy, make sure to call ahead and specify that you want a table *upstairs*!

I've gone 3 times so far, twice in the basement, and once upstairs. In the basement, it seems like they forget about you and even getting a water refill is probably not happening. Upstairs is much better, as you can just flag them down when you need something. :)

But so worth it! Get Thai Hot if you love spice (last time I think they said the spice levels they had were: Mild, Medium, Hot, Thai Hot, Thai Extra Hot).

Erin said...

Really? They were so friendly to everyone when I was there. I did peek downstairs though, and it was empty - perhaps they were just less overwhelmed that night relative to your visits!

I *loooove* spice. Mmm...good advice

Matt said...

They *are* friendly! :) I think it's like you said, they just get overwhelmed. I've gone mostly on Friday or Saturday nights, so that could be why!

That doesn't stop me from going though... mmm it's lunch time now and I could really go for some Khao Soi....

Brian Yee said...

Hey Erin, planning to bring a friend here.. but how does this compare to Thai Country Kitchen in Chinatown? I'm stuck between the two.

And have fun while away from TO you lucky bum. =P

Erin said...

FYI: http://www.khaosanroad.ca/
Nuit has opened in a new location on Adelaide! If anyone checks it out let me know...curious as to how it's doing :)

Karen Ling said...

my cousin actually recommended this place to me...both sukho & khao san...can't wait to try both...hmmm which one should i go to first lol

Erin said...

Khao San, imo. Nuit is what made Sukhothai so great ;) Good luck getting a table though - rave reviews have caused quite an uproar!

Karen Ling said...

awww man then gotta find a good day to go...hope the lineup isn't as long as hoof cafe or guu lol

Brian Yee said...

Hey Erin, planning to bring a friend here.. but how does this compare to Thai Country Kitchen in Chinatown? I'm stuck between the two.

And have fun while away from TO you lucky bum. =P

Roxanne Isles said...

This is really off the beaten path. Must make the trek to go try the food. Thanks for the tip about the chef.

The Food Junkie said...

Sukhothai is my favourite Thai restaurant =) I ordered the garlic chicken, khao soi and pad thai...everything was amazing! I especially liked the garlic chicken, so crispy ~ Haven't tasted anything quite like it.

desiretoacquire said...

oh my... I may have to venture to Parliament for the Khao Soi alone.

Apartment rent chiang mai said...

I love pad Thai, I always order it when I go to a Thai restaurant. Thanks.

Post a Comment