Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Phoga Banh Cuon :: Vietnamese Brunch

I love brunch! In any form! From any country! Brunch, brunch, BRUNCH!

My friend was appalled when I said that I didn't really like Vietnamese food. I've tried pho a few times and a variety of rice dishes, and I always left disappointed. After some poking and prodding, I admitted that my experiences were pretty much limited to a restaurant chain in Guelph and a joint in Mississauga. He seemed exasperated: "You just haven't had the right  dishes from a decent place". Shrugs.

One morning, I was craving a brunch waffle, but compromised with a brunch-hating friend (...try not to judge...everyone has flaws) to go for what he called "Vietnamese breakfast". For all I know, he could have been tricking me with the idea of breakfast, but I'm always game to try something new!

Phoga Banh Cuon
Verdict: Go! Sparked a curiousity for Vietnamese food. Cheap breakfast.
Meal: Brunch 

Price: $6 + tax & tip


Avocado shake and green tea cake to go

We ordered a Durian shake (but avocado arrived instead), and I quizzically looked at the description of our order:

Banh Uot Cha Lua Banh Cong ($6)
Steamed rice flour rolls with Vietnamese sausage & cup cake

Bahn Cuon Thanh Tri!
"Cup cake? Cup cake?"  - Me
"Just wait and see" - M

The cup cake ended up being a deep fried Christmas bell-shaped muffiny-thing with mung beans called a Banh Cuon. It was freshly fried - my brunch buddy said that there's usually shrimp in the middle but it was missing. Perhaps things were off that day, because of the durian-avocado shake mix-up? Either way, I enjoyed the crispy outside, yum! It must have been baked, quickly sliced then fried since it was fluffy on the inside.

A pile of big rice noodles, shaved lettuce, and ham topped with crispy shallots arrived with the "cup cake". We poured a bowl of fish sauce all over it and dug in. This reminded me of my favourite dim sum dish, steamed flour rolls. Yummy.

We picked up a green tea pie-like thing to go, but I greedily bought and devoured a huge Lindt hazelnut-dark chocolate bar and ate that for dessert instead. I can't resist them.

Okay - I'll admit that when I moved to Toronto, I should have given Vietnamese food another shake (but maybe not durian?). There are so many different dishes to try! Just don't ask me to recommend a place in person - I can't pronounce any of the restaurants or the dishes. But expect more Vietnamese to creep onto my foodmap - pho sho.

I love finding new eats...and there's still so much I haven't tried in Toronto! So exciiitttted to keep exploring...

Phoga Banh Cuon
Verdict: Go! Sparked a curiousity for Vietnamese food. Cheap breakfast.
Meal: Brunch 

Price: $6 + tax & tip

8 comments:

william said...

I like the stolen plates from St-Hubert

Mindy said...

Vietnamese is one of my favourites! I'm with your friend- if you're not into pho, you just haven't tried the right place yet.

Erin said...

I'm on an expedition to find more Viet food that I like!!
St-Hubert plates, eh? I have a little one just like this in my pantry from a previous housemate. I wonder if he stole it from there too?? hehe

Victor said...

We've been eating here 2-3 times a week since we moved to the neighbourhood.

Erin said...

no more Sunday dim sum?!

Victor said...

No :( There isn't much dim sum near us. The prices are hard to beat here, and it's the same price even if you get the pork stuffed noodles. The cookies are great snacks too. We accidentally left some in a bag with a banana while we were on vacation. Now they're banana flavoured; it's delicious!

Victor said...

No :( There isn't much dim sum near us. The prices are hard to beat here, and it's the same price even if you get the pork stuffed noodles. The cookies are great snacks too. We accidentally left some in a bag with a banana while we were on vacation. Now they're banana flavoured; it's delicious!

william said...

I like the stolen plates from St-Hubert

Post a Comment