Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Origin :: Burger Fail

Wanting an upscale burger, we tried to go to Bymark but they closed early since it was a slow night. We decided to take a quick walk down to Origin to see if they offered one...and they did! The patio is pretty great for warm nights, and the interior has a good vibe for parties. Unfortunately, the ambiance was the best part of the meal.

Origin
Verdict:  Awful burger, burnt fries, terrible float...nice patio? Overall? Disappointed.
Meal: Burger Run/Dinner

Price: $50 + tax & tip
Location: 107 King St E Toronto
Website: http://origintoronto.com/
Bangkok Beef Salad ($14)
Peanut, Mint, Mango, Fried Onion, NamJim Dressing




Despite my constant gripes about restaurant salads, the description was interesting so I wanted to try it. No complaints here. Nice & clean - I liked the combination of flavours and overall, this was a good starter. I rather liked this salad.

Origin Burger Combo
Origin Burger, Spanish Fries, Ice Cream Float

Curried Burger? No. No. No!

This was very disappointing. After hearing positive reviews about Origin, we were hoping for a great burger!

The good? Well, the burger was nice, thick and pink on the inside. Just the way I like it. The bun was soft and fresh.

The bad? Sigh...where do I start?
The patty itself had an unpleasant taste to it - the curry powder did not work with the beef at all. My friend commented that it had a "dirty" taste, and I agree.

The Spanish Fries were topped with Chipotle mayo, chorizo sausage, cheese, and a crapload of olives. A crapload. The fries were dark and bunt - perhaps from being cooked in bad oil. We were unimpressed, and my friend actually made a comment to the wait staff. They ended up comping us for the fries, so they must have agreed!

The combo also came with a giant ice cream float:
I am sad to report that this was also unappetizing. The ice cream had wasn't smooth - it was icy and too milky in flavour. The soda was sickly sweet, but not in a pleasant ice cream float way. Sigh, balled-up-fist against cheek, tilted head, this was not a good meal.


Gah. After reading positive reviews about Origin, I was hoping for a fantastic burger but instead we got a decent salad and a very unappetizing main. The space itself is nice, very young, loud, and vibrant - potentially great for a celebratory dinners. Did I order the wrong items? Were they having an off-night? Maybe, maybe. I was so disappointed with the food that I won't be inclined to return. However, I am grateful that they recognized the poor delivery, and compensated us.

My friend took care of the complaint here. I mustered up the courage at Sage Cafe, this was a step beyond that so I feel that I should have tried - I am determined to become better at speaking up when there's something amiss!


Origin
Verdict:  Awful burger, burnt fries, terrible float...nice patio? Fail.
Meal: Burger Run/Dinner

Price: $50 + tax & tip
Location: 107 King St E Toronto
Website: http://origintoronto.com/

Origin Restaurant on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

cat said...

geh! So Bymark closed early and you had the most unappealing burger combo I have ever seen. Off night or not I can't believe the only thing you were comped for were the fries.

Erin said...

geh is right! Should have went to trusty Grindhouse.

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

Go back to Nota bene. :P

Erin said...

MmmmMMmm...if only I had the budget for weekly $44 burgers....

Erin said...

geh is right! Should have went to trusty Grindhouse.

Post a Comment