Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Monday, November 22, 2010

Kom Jug Yuen :: BBQ Pork Mmm

I don't usually crave Chinese/HK cuisine, but friends know that they can suck me in with two simple words: Char. Siu.

Kom Jug Yuen Restaurant
Verdict: Go for cheap, tasty BBQ pork!
Meal: Lunch
Price: $4

 After a long and intense craving for BBQ pork I finally got my fix.

It kept alluding me - every time I made a BBQ pork date, it was a fail. First, someone was invited at the last minute who couldn't eat pork for religious reasons. Another time, a friend vetoed it saying that he hated all Asian food. The third time, another friend had to work very late and by the time we got there, it was closed! The fourth time, there was a thunderstorm so we ended up ordering pizza. This is quite similar to my 4 failed Black Camel attempts. I hate it when food becomes elusive. I finally ended up getting it quite spontaneously - a friend grabbed a couple of take out boxes and voila! I GOT IT.


Anyways if you need a quick fix from Chinatown and love BBQ pork, give Kom Jug a try. Great for the student budget - $4! My friend had the foresight to scoop some chili flakes into my container - so good on the rice. If you dine in the restaurant, they apparently make a fantastic winter melon soup, but something about the joint makes my friend's asthma act up so we enjoyed our lunch elsewhere.

Yummy. My friend said that he didn't like this batch since it was lean and he wanted fatty slices, but it satisfied my craving just fine!

Although, I will say that the rice was horrid. It was mushy in one big lump, but  really, who cares for $4. It's not always that bad - but it's not consistent.

Kom Jug Yuen on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Ringy said...

Can you really be friends with someone who hates all Asian food??

Erin said...

It's tough!!! But friends who eat cream of sausage make up for the others ;)

Kristy said...

This was my FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT when I was still in university. The cheapest, most badass bbq pork AND roast pork in chinatown. This beats King's Noodle, which is my 2nd favorite place to eat :)

www.monochromachic.com

Kristy said...

This was my FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT when I was still in university. The cheapest, most badass bbq pork AND roast pork in chinatown. This beats King's Noodle, which is my 2nd favorite place to eat :)

www.monochromachic.com

Post a Comment