Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Counter :: Fried Chicken, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

12AM Fried Chicken Run


Hankering for pie at 12AM can be tortuous. After wandering around King St., we came to the conclusion that there was nothing available to satisfy our pie-tooths. Then we remembered a new 24-hour diner around the corner.
I don't know what happened. We went for pie and pecan pie as well as NY Cheesecake were both available. The conversation went something like this:
"Hey, there's fried chicken"
"Okay. One order of fried chicken please. With a poutine"

And the pie was forgotten.
The Counter
Verdict: Skip. Pricy & unsatisfying, even at 12AM
Meal: Late night snack attack
Price: $14 + tax & tip

Waitresses donning pigtails and red gingham shirts were milling around the retro diner.. I was taken aback by some of the prices. $7 PB&J on white bread? $9 hot dog? $12 Mac and Cheese? However, I wanted to see if there was a decent 24-hour option downtown. I strongly dislike Fran's (I'd rather stay hungry kthxbai) and Just Desserts.


Buttermilk Fried Chicken ($14)

Cute presentation but I'd rather have a cold piece of KFC. Sad.

Eh. This arrived piping hot, but bland - there was a complete absence of spices and flavour in the breading. My friend commented that it wasn't juicy, but I didn't find it too dry. "Try Stockyards" he insisted. "Then you'll know how good fried chicken should taste".


Instead of the cheddar mashed potatoes, we opted for:

Poutine Classic
Gravy and Cheese Cruds

Thumbs down :(

"Didn't we come here for pie?"

We asked if they make their pie in house and not surprisingly, they do not - nor did the waitress know where it came from. We decided to take our chances and wander back out onto the streets for some sort of dessert. Who were we kidding? After midnight, Toronto is pretty void of late night dessert in the Entertainment District.

In general, hotel restaurants are usually not something to get excited about anyways. The novelty of The Counter is the fact that it's open 24/7 but the prices and underwhelming food will keep me away. $12 foot longs and $7 PB&J sandwiches (made with Kraft and white bread!)?? Are you kidding me?  Mediocre diner with upscale prices = fail.

Torontonians are left with 3 depressing late night diner options: Fran's, Golden Griddle, and The Counter. I'd forgo all of them and head to McDonalds. Sigh.

(Edit: Actually, I just remembered that Reggies and Lou Dawgs are open super late and they have cookies and carrot cake. Must keep that in mind next time.)

The Counter
Verdict: Skip. Pricy & unsatisfying, even at 12AM
Meal: Late night snack attack
Price: $
14 + tax & tip
The Counter on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

Man, what a waste of calories!! I hate bad fried chicken. It's like drinking oil for no reason.

Erin said...

I totally agree!! How awful is it that I think that KFC is a better option? The double down would've been tastier and more satisfying. Maybe, like Smoke's, it is something that is only tasty when you're tipsy...but it's too pricey to be a post-club eatery.

Jamilv said...

I found a majority of the time, Owl is essential for grabbing a bit after 2am, but it is out of the way unless you have a car since it's all the way up near Yonge/Finch

Erin said...

:( Lots of great late night options are uptown. We have Lou Dawgs and Chinatown...but I wish there were more! Especially for dessert!

Anonymous said...

The Chowhound hunter is trying to influence your tastes!

Tonya @ What's On My Plate said...

Definitely try Stockyards. It's SO GOOD and a great value!

Erin said...

Everyone keeps encouraging me to go! I keep hearing about their delicious burgers, ribs, and pulled pork. I must go!!

Erin said...

Everyone keeps encouraging me to go! I keep hearing about their delicious burgers, ribs, and pulled pork. I must go!!

Tonya @ What's On My Plate said...

Definitely try Stockyards. It's SO GOOD and a great value!

Jamilv said...

I found a majority of the time, Owl is essential for grabbing a bit after 2am, but it is out of the way unless you have a car since it's all the way up near Yonge/Finch

Post a Comment