Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Te Aro :: Chocolate Cookie Crusade #6

Cookies! It's back to Cookie Wednesdays!

A trip to Leslieville took me to a bright little coffee shop named Te Aro. I stopped for a coffee and, of course, a cookie! I love my Wednesday cookie posts =)

Te Aro
Verdict:  Crispy, but not enough chocolate for me. I liked the touch of sea salt - will use in my next baking recipe.
Meal: Cookie Run (Chocolate Cookie Crusade Series)

Price: $1.60 + tax & tip
Location: 983 Queen St W Toronto
Website: http://www.te-aro.ca/


Out front, the open patio is very welcoming. It would be perfect for relaxing with a cup, a sandwich and a friend on a sunny day. The inside is bright and spacious with great tables for people who love going to shops with their laptops.


I'm not from Leslieville so perhaps it's the area, but Te Aro had a trendy-yet-friendly vibe. Everyone was more or less keeping to themselves and their laptops, which you can kind of gather from the pictures above, but it wasn't stuck-up. I had a pleasant conversation with a few locals while waiting in line.

They have an assortment of goodies from Circles and Squares as well as  Desmond and Beatrice*:
Vegan cupcakes and other treats
*Thanks for the correction, Te Aro!

Even though they aren't made in house, I decided to try a Chocolate Chip with Sea Salt cookie since I've never tried anything made by Circles and Squares. It was a simple cookie with a few chocolate chips here and there...on the sweeter side, crumbly-soft, but overall quite boring. I enjoyed the hint of saltiness, which was more obvious in some parts (particularly the edges). I decided then and there that I'd try sprinkling some on my next cookie baking blitz. It seemed to mesh well with the chocolate...but I'm guessing it'd pair much better with dark.

If I lived in the area, I'd be a regular customer for breaks and lunch. I can easily imagine enjoying a bright weekend morning in Te Aro with a fancy-looking coffee, laptop, or book. They also serve sandwiches and soup. The next time I am meeting friends in the area, I might arrive early to pop in and relax - I have a feeling that it's a good spot for people-watching, which I love!



Te Aro
Verdict:  Crispy, but not enough chocolate for me. I like the touch of sea salt, will use in my next baking recipe.
Meal: Cookie Run (Chocolate Cookie Crusade Series)

Price: $1.60 + tax & tip
Location: 983 Queen St W Toronto
Website: http://www.te-aro.ca/
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wanda's Pie in the Sky
Fully Loaded Cookie
Yum! In the lead.
Orange Alert, $2.19
Crazy Cookie
Not so crazy about it



Sage Café
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Nice chocolate chunks, good crunchy cookie if that's what you want.
Tim Horton's Smile Cookie, $1
Chocolate Smile Cookie for SickKids
Warm, soft, proceeds for worthy charity, good for the soul




Little Nicky's Coffee $2
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Sweeter, crispier cookie
Te Aro, $1.60
  Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Cookie

Just liked the sea salt addition.


Te Aro Roasted on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for visiting us at Te Aro! It is actually Desmond and Beatrice (not Michelle and Desmond).

Thanks for the review.

Cheers!

Erin said...

whoops! Thanks for the correction - I should really write things down :)

Post a Comment