Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pistacia Vera :: Foodie Gifts from Ohio


Macarons!
Ohio? The Paris of the Midwest? - M


Wonderful friends brought me a tasty treat from Ohio - Macarons! Before this, I had actually never tried them which most people find surprising due to my notorious sweet tooth. Kind of like how I never had a grilled cheese sammy until this year. Apparently, I have a lot of really common om-noms to catch up on.

Pistacia Vera
Verdict: Macaron cherry popped
Meal: Dessert, delivered with love :-)

Price: Awesome friends


It's funny -  I feel like macarons have been chasing me lately. A friend just shared stories of a trip to Paris and failed attempts to bring them back  intact. Another asked me if I have ever tried to make them myself (quite flattered that anyone thinks that I'm that good of a baker). C just asked  me to join her for a dessert run because she felt that she "must pop [my] macaron cherry". Sorry C, I couldn't hold out - they beat you to the punch :-). Lastly, a couple days before receiving this lovely gift, I snapped the following picture because I loved the colours. I was at a little patisserie on Queen St., in search of a pumpkin tartlet:

They've been demanding a lot of attention!

I've eyed these little sandwich cookies at local shops, but I've never been inclined to try one. I tend to prefer sweets that are decadent and rich with dark chocolate, rather than light and sugary.
However, it seems like macarons were determined to creep into my life, one way or another :-)

Thank you for:

Peppermint

Caramel Pecan


I was told to have tea with these, to balance the sweetness. For me, I think it's all about the filling - I don't care for the sugary wafers but the filling in the caramel pecan was yummy. These were sweet puffy little sandwiches of delight! Thanks A & V!! Sweetest midnight snack this week =)

Pistacia Vera on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

Ellen said...

If you learn how to make a good batch of french macaroons... then you will be my hero. These desserts are HARD to make properly. But, I have to say the BEST is in France or better yet, Bora Bora (in the French Polynesian Islands) which is where Michael and I had our first taste of macaroons.. you can't go wrong there.

Cat said...

ohhh there are good ones [well the only ones I have ever had] a lot closer than the original Paris or the Paris of the Midwest...
French Corner Patisserie, 1224 Dundas St W, Mississauga, ON L5C 4G7, 905-566-1919 Worth a stop if you find yourself in the area.

I had my cherry popped earlier this summer when I stopped by this cafe in the back corner of a random strip mall in the 'Saug. [3 minutes west of Mavis, south-side of Dundas]. There were two separate groups of women ordering dozens for their afternoon teas. Overhearing the comments between these strangers I was not able to resist, esp. when I learned "true" macaroons do not have the evil coconut anywhere on the ingredient list.

They are sweet, fruity, and decadent with one being completely satisfying; two would be too much for me at one sitting.

The flavors seem to change so it is worth a call to make sure they have one you would like. But I haven't had any I have not liked yet.

PS I brought a dozen to the office and they were a hit as well.

Ringy said...

I don't know if anyone cares, but I feel compelled to clarify that the "Schmidt's" box was a different shop. I reused the box after we ate the "Buckeyes" (i.e. peanut butter cups in the shape of the nut of Ohio's state tree) that it originally contained.

Erin said...

Woops! It did strike me as odd at one point, but I greedily hurried with my pictures to cram these into my mouth.

Erin said...

Mmmm...Cat, the next time I go to sauga I might pop in. Macaroons vs. Macarons - those are very different dessert beasts =)

Div said...

Macroons are the new "Cupcakes" (they are everywhere) in New York City ... I have yet to try one, as I can't justify spending 4 dollars on a cookie ...

Erin said...

$4?! Is that how much they seriously cost. Oh Em Gee.

Div said...

Thats how much they cost in those fancy bakeries ... The worst was when I went to Magnolia's to get cupcakes ... (4.50 for a cupcake) only cuz they were once featured in Sex in the city ... people are crazy in this city ... really

Erin said...

$4?! Is that how much they seriously cost. Oh Em Gee.

Cat said...

ohhh there are good ones [well the only ones I have ever had] a lot closer than the original Paris or the Paris of the Midwest...
French Corner Patisserie, 1224 Dundas St W, Mississauga, ON L5C 4G7, 905-566-1919 Worth a stop if you find yourself in the area.

I had my cherry popped earlier this summer when I stopped by this cafe in the back corner of a random strip mall in the 'Saug. [3 minutes west of Mavis, south-side of Dundas]. There were two separate groups of women ordering dozens for their afternoon teas. Overhearing the comments between these strangers I was not able to resist, esp. when I learned "true" macaroons do not have the evil coconut anywhere on the ingredient list.

They are sweet, fruity, and decadent with one being completely satisfying; two would be too much for me at one sitting.

The flavors seem to change so it is worth a call to make sure they have one you would like. But I haven't had any I have not liked yet.

PS I brought a dozen to the office and they were a hit as well.

Ellen said...

If you learn how to make a good batch of french macaroons... then you will be my hero. These desserts are HARD to make properly. But, I have to say the BEST is in France or better yet, Bora Bora (in the French Polynesian Islands) which is where Michael and I had our first taste of macaroons.. you can't go wrong there.

Post a Comment