Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Thursday, October 28, 2010

Okonomi House :: Oko-more-miyaki

Okonomiyaki!

A few friends and I got together for a soccer-okonomiyaki blitz. I'm not sure what motivated us more - the soccer or the Japanese pancake, but I'm tempted to guess the latter.

Okonomi House
Verdict:  Tasty, saucy, prefer Koyoi's but not bad at all!
Meal: Dinner
Price: $10 + tax & tip
Location: 23 Charles St W Toronto, ON

Recent discussions about my trip to Japan left me craving oko-more-miyaki (yes, I'm a dork). I have tried Guu's version, which is good but not reminiscent of the greasy, fried pancake that I had in smoky hole-in-the-wall in Hiroshima. A friend suggested we try Okonomi House, and I couldn't wait!

We ordered the beef, chicken, squid, and seafood deluxe okonomiyaki as well as seafood yakisoba to make it "Hiroshima-style".





We were given a dose of sweet okonomiyaki sauce to spread all over our pancakes and a little bowl of bonito flakes to top them. We had a bit of fun spreading our sauce, especially my friend with her star-shaped design:
Bowl of bonito flakes to top our pancakes!

My favourite was the seafood deluxe, at a relatively hefty price of $11.95 compared to the others at  $6.35. However, it was riddled with shrimp, squid, and scallop and if I were to return I'd order it again. While it's much more expensive, I'd much rather order the one that I like best and go less often to avoid yearning for more! The pancakes were saucy and satisfying. Greasy, comforting food...kind of like the satisfaction I get from eating at a greasy spoon diner for breakfast when I just want bacon, sausage, and eggs but I'm too lazy busy to cook.

After seeing these pictures, another friend offered to introduce me to his favourite okonomiyaki at Koyoi, which you can read about here. He likes to call Koyoi the "non-deadly okonomiyaki" relative of Okonomi House.

The seafood yakisoba noodles weren't bad, also on the heavy side:

While "deadlier" than Koyoi's okonomiyaki, Okonomi House is closer to the pancakes that I had on the streets of Hiroshima - greasy, heavy, and very filling.


Between Okonomi House, Koyoi, and Guu, when I'm craving okonomiyaki my pick will probably vary...but more often lead me to Koyoi so I can enjoy the other items on their menu too.

Okonomi House
Verdict:  Tasty, saucy, prefer Koyoi's but not bad at all!
Meal: Dinner
Price: $10 + tax & tip
Location: 23 Charles St W Toronto, ON
Okonomi House on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment