Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Magic Oven :: Pizza-Palooza Week


Known for their $108 pizza topped with 24-karat gold, Magic Oven specializes in "pizzaceuticals". They have gluten-free, vegan, and organic options. After a tasty ice cream night, I was still hungry so I headed in for a slice.

Magic Oven
Verdict:  Pricey, but fresh & tasty ingredients
Meal: Dinner
Price: $20 + tax & tip
Location: 6 Wellesley St W Toronto

Phytonutrient Magic ($13, small)
Tomato sauce, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, roasted rainbow peppers, organic mozzarella
Substituted the grilled eggplant for artichoke hearts and added Portobello mushrooms ($1)
Organic Spelt (Yeast Free) crust ($2)

 I love vegetarian pizza, so this was a great pick. I especially liked the thin, crispy spelt crust. I wish there were more than a couple bits of artichoke though, it was barely there. While there was a good balance of cheese, sauce, and toppings on the tasty spelt crust, it felt quite pricey at $13!

Summer Sweet Salad ($7)
Baby greens in grapefruit vinaigrette with avocado, mango, and walnuts
The citrus-y dressing was tasty and the ingredients were fresh. I don't usually order salads from restaurants, because I am a salad fiend and they aren't the best deal at restaurants. For instance, a small 1-topping pizza is $10 and this costs $7. It's a nice, green addition to your dinner but I often go home and eat a salad after dinner if I still need my veggie fix. Of course, when you compare it to Wish's terrible $9 salad this is not the biggest rip-off. However, I can't help but think that a summer salad should include local produce - not imported mangoes.

The service was super-friendly and patient. It was a very quiet night in the restaurant. If I were to have lunch with a friend who wanted gluten-free options, I would take them here if the budget allowed - otherwise I don't think I'll be tempted to return anytime soon.

Magic Oven
Verdict:  Pricey, but fresh & tasty ingredients
Meal: Dinner
Price: $20 + tax & tip
Location: 6 Wellesley St W Toronto
Magic Oven on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Chris (tinytines.com) said...

This is surprising, but I'm actually craving that SALAD more than the pizza. While the pizza looks good, the salad is really speaking to me....

Me ... said...

Omg this is the first place on this blog that I have ever been to ...
It was a couple of years ago though ... I think I got a tandoori chicken pizza ... or maybe I am getting this place confused with another ... is it close to uft ?

Erin said...

mmm...who doesn't love a good salad? I'm eating one right now actually! But it doesn't have fruit in it =(

Yup! It's pretty close - Yonge and Wellesley. Did you like it? While tasty, I can't help but think that I could make it myself for much cheaper and the price different would make it worth the effort!

Exploded Daniel said...

Magic Oven= Magi Coven. They are up to no good evil spells.

Erin said...

At least they serve evil on spelt crust.

Post a Comment