Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, October 17, 2010

A La Turque :: Doner in the Village


Craving a doner wrap, but so far from Ottawa (the shawarma capital of Canada), we are on the hunt for great shawarma in the downtown core. Let's start with my usual haunt:


A La Turque
Verdict: Filling and tasty chicken doner/shawarma
Meal: Lunch & Dinner
Price: $5.09 + tax
Location: 558 Church St Toronto, ON



Fresh ingredients & efficient prep

Pastries

Chicken Doner Wrap ($5.09)

Yum! I've realized that pictures of bitten up burritos and wraps are...well they're gross and I don't end up posting those reviews (for your sake more than anything). The owner kindly cut this in half, hooray!

Anyways, I always enjoy the classic chicken doner wrap with all the sauces and veggies. I strongly prefer it over Anoush's wrap, which is on College Street. Today, we came here for dinner but I usually pop by for a quick lunch in the village.


Falafel Wrap ($4.20)
My friend enjoyed his falafel wrap while another buddy noshed on a beef doner wrap. We were all pretty satisfied =)

I felt like something sweet, and I was contemplating the baklava. However, after the ridiculously tasty & homemade version that I had at the Taste of the Danforth, I fear that all baklava will be a disappointment!
The owner suggested I try his Kataifi, swearing that it was better than baklava.

Kataifi (~$2)


This version was definitely sweeter than the Kataifi that I tried at the Taste of the Danforth. It was intense with honey flavour but I really liked the pistachio on top and in between the shredded kataifi/phyllo pastry. I have quite the sweet tooth though, so if you don't...you might not like this.

The service has always been nice. I've been a regular customer, and it's also vegetarian friendly - my friends have enjoyed many a falafel and zucchini-ball-wrap-thing (for the lack of a better way to describe it) here. Just right for the student budget and busy schedule.While close, my Ottawa friend said that without the intense garlic sauce that Ottawa is known for...it's not the same.We will have to keep looking...or just bring our own sauce next time!

A La Turque
Verdict: Filling and tasty chicken doner/shawarma
Meal: Lunch & Dinner
Price: $5.09 + tax
Location: 558 Church St Toronto, ON


A La Turque on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Gautam said...

Look no further than Paramount, on Yonge St opp. Eaton Centre.

And Sarah's on Bloor

Erin said...

I agree with Sarah's!! Mmm...great falafels :)

Anonymous said...

i was there yesterday, loved there shawarma plate. thanks

Erin said...

so happy that you went!!! :)

Post a Comment