Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Friday, October 8, 2010

Konnichiwa :: Baldwin Village

Noodles!

I was craving noodles again, but the rainy weather made Kenzo Ramen seem that much farther. We headed to Konnichiwa in Baldwin Village to satisfy our noodle needs.


Konnichiwa
Verdict: Decent noodles - good udon, great bonito broth, okay ramen.
Meal: Dinner
Price: $10-15 + tax & tip
Location: 31 Baldwin St, Toronto
Website: http://www.gokonnichiwa.com/



Mozuku ($5)
Cool & Vinegar-y
This seaweed salad was served in a homemade vinaigrette with Lima beans and shrimp. A traditional dish, this was refreshing. The shrimp didn't really add anything to the dish, aside from colourful garnish.

Hot Noodles
Homemade bonito broth, wakame, and green onions.
Soba (buckwheat) with Vegetable Tempura ($8)
 
Udon (wheat) with Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura ($8.95)
Between the two hot noodle dishes, I liked the Udon noodles better. The broth was great - nice and sweet - but I wish there were more greens in the bowl. I forgot to take a picture of my friends' tempura, but it looked good. I've never been interested in tempura (and yes, I tried it in Japan. Still not a fan).




Konnichiwa Ramen
Miso broth & pork ($8.95)

The noodles were good, as were the slices of pork but the broth was lacking in the salty flavour that I craved. Perhaps this is more "traditional" in the home-cooked sense, but my preference for ramen is a big bowl full of noodles, salty pork, salty broth, and lots of vegetables. It was filling, but I still think that Kenzo Ramen's King of Kings is the best bowl that I've tried downtown.The order is Kenzo, Konnichiwa, then Ajisan.

If I could combine these noodles and pork, with the bonito broth, that would be a win with some pepper flakes..




Gyoza Dumplings ($1.50 if you get noodles)
A typical pair of pork dumplings arrived, but they were nothing to write home about. Vague, distant memories of Kenzo's gyoza suggest that theirs is also better but it was quite awhile ago. It's not easy to find tasty gyoza/yaki-mandu (Korean gyoza) downtown, especially since I've been snobified by my mother's and own dumplings. Cho Sun Ok's dumplings are better, but they're not downtown.


Overall, if it's cold and I want noodles I can see myself heading to Konnichiwa for a bowl of udon noodles. However, especially with Kenzo's new location opening in the Annex, it won't be a regular spot for me. From what I remember, they make a decent Donkatsu dish, which I haven't had recently...but I know that I like Etsu's version for sure so that will probably be my go-to spot for that craving!


Konnichiwa
Verdict: Decent noodles - good udon, great bonito broth, okay ramen.
Meal: Dinner
Price: $10-15 + tax & tip
Location: 31 Baldwin St, Toronto
Konnichiwa Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Your pictures are amazing!

Erin said...

Aw thanks Mindy!! :) Burger date soon!

Mers said...

Love buckwheat noodles. Used to frequent this place for fast Japanese food.

Erin said...

I love buckwheat noodles too! My favourite way is in a cold Korean soup called Naeng Myun: http://www.cookiesandtomatoes.com/2010/08/cho-sun-ok-cold-noodles-win_29.html

So good especially in the summer...but I'll eat it in the winter too!!

Exploded Daniel said...

Konnichiwa is my default place- try some of their regional specialty, like the shishamo. And they make a great big salmon onigiri, which makes for a cheap takeout.

Erin said...

Hmm! Thanks for the suggestion - now that it's getting cold, it's becoming more and more likely that I'll run over for more udon noodles

Erin said...

I love buckwheat noodles too! My favourite way is in a cold Korean soup called Naeng Myun: http://www.cookiesandtomatoes.com/2010/08/cho-sun-ok-cold-noodles-win_29.html

So good especially in the summer...but I'll eat it in the winter too!!

Post a Comment