Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Buca :: Pizza-Palooza Week

A little fancy for Pizza-Palooza Week

After a series of quick and cheap slices, I thought I'd throw in one of my more upscale pizza experiences.

Buca
Verdict:  Go for the pizza, but be prepared to plop more $ down if you want to leave full. I want to go back for crispy pig ears!
Meal: Dinner
Price: $30 + tax & tip
Location: 604 King St W Toronto, ON

Olive Ascolane ($7) 
Fried olives stuffed with sausage

These were a fun little starter. Deep fried, these were crispy, warm, and I liked the flavour of the olive. The sausage didn't add much besides texture, I would've preferred something spicier stuffed in the middle. While tasty, I wish I ordered the pig ears as I heard they are tastier than the ones I tried at Black Hoof.


Rucola ($11)
Arugula salad with Ontario field strawberries, parmigiano-reggiano cheese and aged balsamic




This was an okay salad with fresh arugula but nothing worth noting. Still, like Magic Oven's pricey salad, I'd rather pay more for this than the horrid $9 salad from Wish. And I'd rather pay less for this than the salad at Magic Oven. I should probably just stop ordering salad at restaurants, because I feel like I never appreciate them. Perhaps it's my unsophisticated palate talking, but I would've preferred fresh strawberries and more greens. The cheese did not ruin the salad though, as it wasn't too sharp!


Funghi Pizze ($18)
Marinated daily selected mushrooms, mascarpone, gorgonzola, and marjoram

This pizza had a thin, crispy crust with a wonderful medley of assorted mushrooms. The combination of marscapone and gorgonzola did not overwhelm the pizza and it was perfectly cooked and portioned. We cut the pizza up with a pair of scissors and enjoyed it! Yum. If you like a thinner crust, you will like this one - you can really appreciate the flavours of the toppings! I could have eaten this all on my own!

Tagliatelle ($16)
Duck egg pasta with duck ragu, finished with mascarpone and basil

The tagliatelle was wonderfully fresh and the ragu sauce was sweet, flavourful, with soft morsels of duck. I'm not sure if the duck egg in the pasta made a difference, but it sure was tasty! Yum. Dishes like these remind me that I need to learn how to make my own pasta noodles.

The service was fantastic - due to a mix-up, my dining companions were over an hour late but it wasn't a problem. Fortunately, it wasn't busy so the waiter just let me hang out and enjoy the bright, spacious interior. They also have a great patio in the alleyway which is great for evening dinners! The above portions were not enough for 3 people to leave with full bellies, but the food was fantastic so you're paying for quality. The prices are quite steep - if you are looking for a full dining experience that leaves you satiated, then be prepared to spend more than we did!

Buca
Verdict:  Go for the pizza, but be prepared to plop more $ down if you want to leave full. I want to go back for crispy pig ears!
Meal: Lunch/Dinner
Price: $30 + tax & tip
Location: 604 King St W Toronto, ON

Buca on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment