Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer's Sweet Memories :: Homemade Ice Cream!

Pistachio & Hazelnut
Chocolate Fudge Brownie
Strawberry-Banana Fro-Yo

So I was wrong. The Sweet Fantasies ice cream run was not the last ice cream night of the summer - tonight was perfect! After a falafel & schwarma dinner, we headed off to Summer's Sweet Memories for homemade ice cream and fresh waffle cones. The ice cream pictures are a bit blurry again...I am always way too excited when I get ice cream. But this is my first visit to Summers where I've actually stopped to take a photo! Followed by pizza at Magic Oven, I'd say that tonight was an epic food night win.

Summer's Sweet Memories
Verdict: Strawberry & Peanut butter-chocolate are my favourite! Best strawberry ice cream I've tried :-)
Meal: Post-Schwarma Dessert, Pre-Pizza Appetizer
Price: $7 for a chocolate waffle cone, single scoop, & peanuts
Location: 101 Yorkville Ave Toronto
Love peanuts on ice cream!
Located in Yorkville, Summer's Sweet Memories has the best strawberry ice cream that I've ever tried. It's packed with bits of strawberry and dense with flavour! Their peanut butter-chocolate ice cream is also great - unlike Sweet Fantasies, it's rich with lots peanut butter. I love it when you can really taste the peanut butter.

The owner has been making his own ice cream for years, and it shows. I've consistently enjoyed all of my choices. My only mistake tonight was not listening to my peanut butter & chocolate and strawberry craving! I really should have gotten a double scoop cone with each. Instead, I decided to try something new and got the chocolate brownie fudge which was great - but I'll be thinking about that lovely strawberry ice cream for awhile. I may have eaten half a 650g tub of strawberry yogurt when I got home. Mixed with walnuts, peanuts, almonds, and all-bran (my "waffle"). Not the same.


Here are a few quick notes:
  • Hands down, best strawberry ice cream
  • Summer's Sweet Memories Brownie Chocolate Fudge is much better than Sweet Fantasies
  • Hazelnut ice cream is very nutty - but I like the Dolce Gelato and XocoCava versions better
  • Pistachio was not pistachio-y enough for my liking - Dolce Gelato wins on this front too
  • Peanut butter chocolate ice cream at Summers, Sweet Fantasies, The Big Chill, Coldstones, and Marbleslab are all tasty:
    • Heaviest peanut butter flavour: Marbleslab and Summer's Sweet Memories. Marbleslab uses dark chocolate which makes it more decadant, but Summer's is very rich on the peanut butter front.
    • The Big Chill is a good balance between the two
  • Their frozen yogurt is pretty good! I sampled some of my friend's strawberry-banana. It was very banana-y
  • Have also tried Toronto Pothole, a turtle-chocolate concoction,  regular chocolate, maple-walnut, and espresso-fudge (I can't remember their exact names). All good, but from now on I'm sticking with the strawberry while it's in season.
  • Allergy-Friendly: The owner does not use eggs in his ice cream or put nuts in his machines.  
  • Waffle cone is quite good, but The Big Chill's is better
  • I'm an ice cream addict. My goodness, blogging is disturbingly revealing sometimes. I've tried every single Dolce Gelato flavour and at least half of Summers and Sweet Fantasies. Not to mention the plethora of Marbleslab and The Big Chill visits...and the fact that I promised a friend that we'd hit Delight sometime in the next two weeks.
Now back to roasting beets...



Summer's Sweet Memories
Verdict: Strawberry & Peanut butter-chocolate are my favourite! Best strawberry ice cream I've tried :-)
Meal: Post-Schwarma Dessert, Pre-Pizza Appetizer
Price: $7 for a chocolate waffle cone, single scoop, & peanuts
Location: 101 Yorkville Ave Toronto
Summer's Sweet Memories on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment