Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Saturday, September 18, 2010

Summer Salads :: Salad Bowl

Earlier this week, a midnight snack featured a salad. Surprisingly, this created a bit of a buzz, I suppose because it was the odd member in a series of midnight sammies, palpitations-in-tortillas., and heart-attacks in a box.

One friend made me smile when she said "I'm going to try making that!". A daily salad-nosher, she was looking for new ideas for her bowl and I happily dug through my archives for some summer salad pictures to show her.

This is the first salad post that I will dedicate to my 100km-trail-blazing friend.
Me: "I can make friends with salad!"
A: "Well... who would want to make those kind of friends?"

Here's a few of my favourite salad concoctions of the summer. I also love adding dragonfruit, lychee, and mangoes - fresh fruit are always a delicious & seasonal & addition. I never thought anyone would be interested in salads, so I don't have a complete archive, but this is a good start!

N, this post is for you.


After the Midnight Salad post, I received a few questions and comments.  
1. What do you dress that with?
2. Raw kale? wtfbbq is kale/isn't that gross?
3. How do you have time to make that?
4. Is that *all* you're eating when you're not eating out?





1. I dislike bottled dressings quite a bit. I feel like if you use earthy greens and tasty vegetables, dressing just masks the awesome flavours! Naked salads are great, or with a bit of balsamic & sesame seed oil. Often, I toss something random that I have in my fridge together. Here are some of my non-typical favourites:
  • Lemon juice and/or horseradish (my favourite)
  • Nut butters: Tahini & Almond butter have been the best so far
  • Chimichurri
  • A couple spoonfuls of leftover soup (i.e. cream of celery, tomato)
  • Flavoured canned tuna/salmon (so good!)
  • Yogurt + cinnamon (← I'm addicted to this combination if you haven't noticed from my midnight snacks)
2. Kale is delicious in salads! I love earthy flavours - a sentiment not shared with many others. I also like carrot tops and beet greens.

3. As I mentioned, I make several salads at once: one to eat right away, a few in containers for work, and another in an open bowl that I'll eat the next day. Just like my chicken, I prepare these in bulk to save time and money.

4. Are you kidding? I love salad but there's no way anyone can survive on just greens. I'd pass out on the soccer field. For salad-type meals, I supplement with meat (i.e. canned tuna, leftover chicken), otherwise they're used as sides or midnight snacks. While delicious, they aren't filling without some protein.

Colourful salads always make me smile! So let's see a few salads that I made over the past couple of months...

 Currantly Peachy


Currantly Peachy
Ontario Red Currants (no longer in season)
Ontario Peaches
Baby spinach
Pine nuts
Roasted almonds (from my mom!)
Walnuts
Peanuts
Sesame Seeds






Sesame, Sesame, Goose

Sesame, Sesame, Goose
Ontario Gooseberries (no longer in season)
Orange Tomatoes
Ontario Kale
Ontario Yellow Zucchini
Ontario Organic Celery
Baby spinach
Pine nuts
Walnuts
Sesame Seeds
Dressing: Tahini



The Zesty Horse

The Zesty Horse
Golden Raisins
Ontario Kale
Ontario Yellow Zucchini
Ontario Organic Celery
Ontario Baby cucumbers
Baby spinach
Pepitas
Sesame Seeds
Dressing: Lemon juice + horseradish






The Lonely Currant
The Lonely Currant

Orange Tomatoes
Ontario Kale
Ontario Yellow Zucchini
Ontario Green Zucchini
Ontario Organic Celery
Pine nuts
Walnuts
Sesame Seeds
1 red currant that I inexplicably found in the back of my fridge




So there you have it. Not much variation....yet! Another one will be coming up soon, N! =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment