Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Orange Alert :: Chocolate Cookie Crusade #1

Argh!! CLOSED!
Although I love baking my own, I am a huge fan of giant bakery-fresh cookies. When my favourite source for chocolate cookies closed without notice, I mourned the loss of Le Gourmand's big, fresh chocolate chip cookies. They were always warm so the chocolate chips were pure, melted decadence with every bite. Mmm, memories.

So you can imagine my excitement when a sign was spotted in the empty window that read "Gone Fishing - Be back on Monday!". And then the utter disappointment when Monday rolled around and I was still cookie-deprived as it was closed. I huffily decided to look elsewhere for my local cookie-fix. I turned to the first cafe I spotted on my way back to work:


Outside & Baked Treats



Orange Alert
Verdict: Meh. Cookies not made in house. Lots of treats & Kawartha Ice Cream - pop in if you need a sugar rush and you're in the area 
Meal: Cookie Run
Price: $2.19 + tax
Location: 298 Dundas Street West, Toronto





Crazy Cookie
Chocolate, peanuts, marshmallows, & raisins :: $2.19 + tax



The girl at Orange Alert said they get their cookies from "Philips"*, however it was a little unclear and we couldn't keep chatting for a variety of reasons.
*Correction: Phipps Desserts. Thank you Jo! =)

Their "Crazy Cookie" is advertised as chocolate, peanut, marshmallows, & raisins. Although not bad, it was a tad sticky (from the marshmallow)  for my taste - I prefer my cookie either thin and crispy or thick with a good bite. I really like nuts in my cookies so the peanuts were a plus, however the marshmallow is probably what made it too sweet and sticky for my taste.

I probably should have stuck to their traditional chocolate chip cookie. Lesson learned for my next stop. I could be fair and give them another go...but I think I'll try to stick to caf├ęs  that make their cookies in-house.

Peanuts, marshmallow, chocolate chips

Yum, so thus begins my Chocolate Cookie Crusade. Or, perhaps a more appropriate name would be "Erin's Daily Cookie Excuse".  Or "Hello Cookies, Diabetes, & Belly-Bulge". Feel free to share some downtown cookie joints!


So many cookie choices...



Orange Alert
Verdict: Meh. Cookies not made in house. Lots of treats & Kawartha Ice Cream - pop in if you need a sugar rush and you're in the area 
Meal: Cookie Run
Price: $2.19 + tax
Location: 298 Dundas Street West, Toronto





Orange Alert on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Jo said...

I think the girl probably meant "Phipps", not "Philips". Phipps Desserts does provide wholesale treats to a lot of cafes around the city, so in all probability it was a Phipps cookie. Many of their baked goods are really tasty...sorry the cookie didn't quite do it for you.

Erin said...

Ah! That makes more sense, thanks! Have you had a tasty cookie there? I poked their other cookies and they were all pretty tough. Maybe their loafs are better!

Jo said...

I've never been to Orange Alert, so 'fraid I can't help you on that front. I meant that Phipps baked goods are tasty; their lemon poppyseed and morning glory muffins are amazing! So are the lemon squares and pecan tarts. I don't remember Phipps cookies precisely, but I bet they're good too. If you ever get a chance to visit Phipps cafe/store on Eglinton W., don't miss it!

Erin said...

I love lemon squares. A couple years ago, I went on a lemon-square rampage (I think that I actually bugged CH about it in 2008?). I'll give them a try if Orange Alert has them! Lemon Poppyseed muffins are so good if they're done right - must try one too! Thanks for the tips Jo, appreciate it :)

Anonymous said...

The Eglinton Phipps has nothing to do with the Phipps bakery (on Leslie) that supplies Orange Alert with all those yummy baked goods. The their treats are made with all natural ingredients and are indeed amazing.

Anonymous said...

The Eglinton Phipps has nothing to do with the Phipps bakery (on Leslie) that supplies Orange Alert with all those yummy baked goods. The their treats are made with all natural ingredients and are indeed amazing.

Jo said...

I think the girl probably meant "Phipps", not "Philips". Phipps Desserts does provide wholesale treats to a lot of cafes around the city, so in all probability it was a Phipps cookie. Many of their baked goods are really tasty...sorry the cookie didn't quite do it for you.

Post a Comment