Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Saturday, September 25, 2010

Le Petit Dejeuner :: Brunch & Waffles!

BRUNCH!
After reading about  Wanda's terrible waffle and knowing my favourite meal is brunch, a friend suggested Le Petit Dejeuner. I lo-o-o-ve brunch! What a perfect excuse to not only grab a waffle but show a friend visiting from New York a tasty Saturday morning in Toronto.

Le Petit Dejeuner
Verdict:  Go! Yummy waffles, awesome Hollandaise, delicious French Toast.
Meal: Brunch
Price: $15-20
Location: 191 King St E Toronto




It was quite busy at 11AM, but not overwhelmingly so. They are very fair about the queue as they only seat groups once their entire party has arrived.

At the bar, I noticed a jar of Liege waffles for sale that looked pretty yummy. If I was in the area, I could see this being a great quick breakfast on my way to work. Pearl sugar, honey, cinnamon, and organic Red Fife - sure sounds good! $2.25 each, or $4 with coffee.
Who orders starters for breakfast? We do. 

Eggy Fried Bread ($9.75)
Caramelized french toast with fresh fruit, organic maple syrup and chantilly cream
This was fantastic. The Challah bread was fresh, soft, and delicious with the great syrup. I'd have to do a side-by-side taste testing to be sure, and perhaps it was the overall deliciousness of the dish but I think that Le Petit Dejeuner's maple syrup trumps Insomnia. It somehow tasted more maple-y than sugary, if that makes any sense. However, I can't be 100% sure about that.

Authentic Brussels’ Style Waffle
Brussels’ Organic maple syrup and icing sugar ($8.65)
Strawberries Organic maple syrup and chantilly cream 
After much debate over what kind of waffles to order, we stuck with a classic: Waffles, cream, and strawberries!
The memory of the awful-waffle is now a thing of the past. Light, crispy, & fresh, this was fantastic with the maple syrup and fresh strawberries. I happily stabbed strawberry slices and bites of waffles and swirled the combination with cream. Waffle heaven.

Now onto our mains. The name of the first dish was pretty fitting for our table...

The Hungry Gal ($9.75)
Two eggs, toast, potato rosti, apple coleslaw and bacon
Added Hollandaise sauce ($4)
This was a good, traditional breakfast. After comparing the price with the Eggs Bennies on the menu, my savvy friend it added a side order of  Hollandaise sauce to top her poached eggs. Hidden from view is the potato rosti, but you'll get a peek of that below.

Eggs Veronique ($12.95)
Eggs Benny with sautéed bell red peppers and onions
Added sautéed peameal bacon for my Fat Kid Personality ($4)
Tasty apple slaw, crispy potato rosti, and generous with the vegetables!

I was torn - the onions and peppers sounded oh-so-tasty but I also wanted bacon. The idea of peameal bacon was making my mouth water. I just combined all my cravings by asking to have my sautéed peameal bacon in my Benny.

I especially enjoyed the Hollandaise sauce - it had a tangy, lemony zip that was really addictive. The red peppers and onions were also sautéed very well. The sweetness of the caramelized onions were so nice with the lemony sauce and salty bacon. This might sound like an odd thing to remember, but I also really liked the pickles that came with the greens.

The potatoes were shredded, fried, and crispy! It also comes with the Hungry Gal, and we all enjoyed them. Overall, I was really happy with this plate. The tangy sauce, the runny poached eggs, the crispy rosti, the sweet apple-slaw, and the pickles made every bite different and delicious. Nothing overpowered the other, it was just a really darn good mix of flavours.

Runny yolk + Added sautéed peameal bacon

So how do these eggs benny compare? Click here to see pictures.

Le Petit Dejeuner's lemony hollandaise sauce with chives is my favourite, however the poached eggs at Hoof Cafe's were perfectly runny. It's a close race, but Hoof Cafe narrowly wins because of their beautiful job on the yolk. Narrowly. And that's only because I really like a good, runny poached egg.

If I could have Le Petit Dejeuner's hollaindaise sauce and veggies on top of Hoof Cafe's eggs and suckling pig, with Insomnia's tasty potatoes I think I'd have the perfect dish.

Apple and Brie Panino ($10.95)
Slices of Natsu apple, Dijon and melted brie


I've tried apple-brie sandwiches before, but the Dijon was what really made a difference. I only wish they put a bit more apple between the delicious challah bread. It came with salad, which I happily took off of my salad-hating friend's plate.


Overall, I had a great brunch! The service was efficient, attentive, and friendly. The waitress strongly recommended the ham & cheese crêpe, which I passed because the menu said it was topped with cheddar sauce but after seeing another bruncher digging into his I think that that will be my order next time! It was only a drizzle of sauce and the crepe was obese with delicious looking sautéed ham. A sunny and delicious brunch! Waffle craving satisfied.


Le Petit Dejeuner
Verdict:  Go! Yummy waffles, awesome Hollandaise, delicious French Toast.
Meal: Brunch
Price: $15-20
Location: 191 King St E Toronto


Le Petit Dejeuner on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

CityPainter said...

Great review. Le Petit Dejeuner has never let us down and we love having it in the neighbourhood. I like it even better when it's not Saturday morning and you don't need to line up and eat elbow-to-elbow in a packed house. Also, despite the name, they serve dinner now and it's just as good as the brunch. My wife likes the mussels, I love the stew and frites... and best of all you can still get those kick ass waffles for dessert!

Erin said...

Thanks CityPainter!
Ooh! I must go there for dinner then. If it's as good as their brunch, I'm in for a real treat :D Great tip! I can't wait to re-live those amazing waffles.

GG said...

I stumbled upon your blog and saw your Le Gourmand posting...OMG...I was so happy when they re-opened too. I wake up on the weekends just to walk there and get a green tea chai latte and scone. So, worth waking up for.

I LOVE brunch too...and PD is one of my faves...but I think you should go try School in Liberty Village...

Erin said...

School has been on my list of go-to places for brunch for a very long time, but I still haven't been! What do you find good there?

And YES...Le Gourmand's baked goods are so great...perfect for morning walk to work or afternoon snack. Or on my way home. haha

I also heard they make a good breakfast, but I haven't tried!

Karen Ling said...

i luv brunch...if i could i would go everyday...love the pix...wished i had more friends so i can order more and eat off their plates lol

GG said...

I stumbled upon your blog and saw your Le Gourmand posting...OMG...I was so happy when they re-opened too. I wake up on the weekends just to walk there and get a green tea chai latte and scone. So, worth waking up for.

I LOVE brunch too...and PD is one of my faves...but I think you should go try School in Liberty Village...

Post a Comment