Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jumbo Empanadas & more, More, MORE! :: Expedition Empanada

Empanadas are only a recent discovery of mine. Once described as a "crappier samosa", I never thought to seek one out...there were plenty of other things to try in Toronto. I was missing out!

El Gordo
Verdict: Best pastry
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99
Location: 214 Augusta Ave Toronto, ON


Jumbo Empanada
Verdict: Beef: Good, Classic, & Filling
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99

Location: 245 Augusta Ave Toronto
Segovia
Verdict: Great hot sauce & chimmichurri
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99

Location: 218 Augusta Avenue Toronto, ON
One night I offered to keep a friend company for a quick bite. I had already eaten so I told her that I was full and uninterested in a "wannabe samosa".

Jumbo Empanada Menu
"No no...they're good!" She insisted. But this is the friend who was repulsed by my obsession with cherry tomatoes when we were kids. Either way, I had broiled homemade kalbi and I'm not a fan of overeating...despite whatever this blog may suggest.

Curiousity was tickled when she described it as a meaty pastry with eggs and dates. When I eyed a man on the patio enjoying a salad and a golden brown, unopened pastry it began to itch. Then I caught a whiff of the shop, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist.

Observing the menu, I noted items like corn pie, humitas, and of course empanadas. One Jumbo chicken, beef, or vegetable for $3.99 or mini beef or chicken for $1. I originally wanted a few minis, thinking I'd try one save a couple for later. When I eyed how tiny they are relative to the Jumbo, the nerd in me insisted I go for the best dough-filling ratio and I quickly changed to the Jumbo Beef.

Jumbo Empanadas ($3.99)
Hard boiled eggs, olives, spiced ground beef

It was gooood! One big bite and I was sold. I wolfed it down with the surprisingly tasty salsa. This was a great introduction as it is a traditional empanada.
Inside & Patio


Segovia
Chorizo and Cheese


Segovia Goodies: Stuffed pobleno, patacone, and refreshing chimichurri

Their hot sauce and chimichurri definitely wins Segovia big bonus points. I think I'll pick some up the next time I'm at the market.  I liked the filling the best, but I feel like for this to be a fair comparison to Jumbo I should try their beef version. The dough was also quite good, and they sell it if you're interested in making pastries at home!

El Gordo
Burrito Empanada
I liked their pastry the most, but the filling the least. However, this was definitely not a fair comparison because it was mostly cheese - something that I'm never a big fan of. That being said, I have to return to El Gordo just to try their kimchi-beef version...and I'll add it to my Compare the Fare page






 
El Gordo
Verdict: Best pastry
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99
Location: 214 Augusta Ave Toronto, ON






Jumbo Empanada
Verdict: Beef: Good, Classic, & Filling
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99

Location: 245 Augusta Ave Toronto




Segovia
Verdict: Great hot sauce & chimmichurri
Meal: Empanada Break
Price: $3.99

Location: 218 Augusta Avenue Toronto, ON





Segovia on UrbanspoonJumbo Empanadas on UrbanspoonEl Gordo Fine Foods on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Karen Ling said...

they all look so good i wanna try them all

Erin said...

Then you must ;)

Tiffany said...

"I had already eaten so I told her that I was full and uninterested in a "wannabe samosa"." Before you insult people with that nonsensical prejudgment, maybe you should've done research about the various types of empanadas that each latin country has to offer. And because different cultures have similar dishes does not mean one is a copy of the other. Believe me, I love samosas. However, because I'm latin and have had 'a shit ton' o'empanadas in my life doesn't mean I consider samosas "the poor man's empanada".

Tiffany said...

"I had already eaten so I told her that I was full and uninterested in a "wannabe samosa"." Before you insult people with that nonsensical prejudgment, maybe you should've done research about the various types of empanadas that each latin country has to offer. And because different cultures have similar dishes does not mean one is a copy of the other. Believe me, I love samosas. However, because I'm latin and have had 'a shit ton' o'empanadas in my life doesn't mean I consider samosas "the poor man's empanada".

Karen Ling said...

they all look so good i wanna try them all

Post a Comment