Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Sunday, September 5, 2010

Crepe City Chase :: Dessert

After the disappointing dessert night, I was left craving some sort of battery-sweet-dessert. Wanting Needing a waffle or crepe to satisfy the sweet tooth, I've embarked on a mini mission to find a good crepe in the city. Here are the first three of my Crepe City Chase! As I go along, I'll update my Comparison Page.

Art Square 
Verdict: Skip
Meal: Dessert
Price: $8.50 + tax & tip

Location: 334 Dundas St West, Toronto
Website:
http://www.artsquaregallery.ca/Cafe/





Café Crêpe
Verdict: Eh. Not always fresh, but filling
Meal: Dessert
Price: ~$8 + tax & tip

Location: 246 Queen St West, Toronto
Website:
http://www.cafecrepe.com





Krepesz
Verdict: Crispy win!
Meal: Dessert
Price: $7.08 + tax & tip

Location: 253 Augusta Ave, Toronto
Website:
http://www.krepesz.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/krepesz




 
Art Square's Very Berry ($8.50)
Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and topped with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Garnished with organic chocolate and roasted pistachio.
Thumbs Down
Disappointing. While huge (the picture is actually just half), the crepe itself wasn't crispy and the berry filling was too syrup-y. It was a Very Berry Mess. I suspect the fruit was frozen, and I felt bad that this was my friend's first crepe experience! The pistachio on top did not compliment the flavours at all, and the ice cream was a big thumbs down- potentially a low-grade brand.

Café Crêpe (~$8)
Nutella, banana, & strawberry
ot bad...
The crepes here are thicker than Art Square, and also lack the crispy edges that I was searching for. However, while just a simple combination of Nutella, fresh strawberries, and banana, the filling was far more pleasant and satisfying than Art Square. I'm not a fan of their savoury crepes, but Cafe Crepe's location is quite convenient for a late night post-movie dessert.

Krepesz ($7.08)
Nutella & Banana

Outside/patio, menu, seating area
A decent mug of Cafe Mocha

Ah, I should have known that my beloved Kensington Market would deliver. After an epic brunch at Insomnia, I decided to drive that glucose spike a little higher with a at Krepesz.

Filled with a neat layer or banana slices with a good dose of Nutella, this crepe was the best so far. Crispy edges, good consistency, and a generous size - I would like to return to try one of their Hungarian crepes. I also had a mocha - cute heart! Not as pretty as the photos they've posted on Facebook nor did I get a little chocolate...but still a decent cup of caffeine.



Art Square

Verdict: Skip
Meal: Dessert
Price: $8.50 + tax & tip
Location: 334 Dundas St West, Toronto
Website:
http://www.artsquaregallery.ca/Cafe/





Café Crêpe

Verdict: Not always fresh, but filling
Meal: Dessert
Price: ~$8 + tax & tip
Location: 246 Queen St West, Toronto
Website:
http://www.cafecrepe.com





Krepesz

Verdict: Crispy win!
Meal: Dessert
Price: $7.08 + tax & tip
Location: 253 Augusta Ave, Toronto
Website:
http://www.krepesz.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/krepesz





Art Square Gallery Cafe on UrbanspoonKrepesz European Palacsinta Cafe on UrbanspoonCafe Crepe on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Andrew Oosting said...

Who is that handsome man in that blue shirt in one of those crepe pictures? Oh wait...it's me! lol

You need to try out Hibiscus which is just across from Krepesz. Although I think it's a bit more expensive, their caramel apple crepe was really good when I went a few months ago!

Erin said...

haha! you're so fast! I wasn't even done editing the post :) Come back down for another dessert date!

Erin said...

haha! you're so fast! I wasn't even done editing the post :) Come back down for another dessert date!

Andrew Oosting said...

Who is that handsome man in that blue shirt in one of those crepe pictures? Oh wait...it's me! lol

You need to try out Hibiscus which is just across from Krepesz. Although I think it's a bit more expensive, their caramel apple crepe was really good when I went a few months ago!

Post a Comment