Eat. Travel. Blog. Repeat.

The easiest way to browse is the Food Maps

Rummage Erin's Fridge


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pi-Tom's Thai Cuisine & Wanda's Belgian Waffles :: Dessert

After a long day of work, I wanted something sweet but filling. Realizing that I had ice cream no less than six times last week I decided to change it up, much to Mr. Sweet Tooth's dismay. After a very satisfying dinner at Pi-Toms, I thought I'd give their Mango Sticky Rice a try. Wanting something sweet, fruity, but more filling than ice cream, I thought that this would be the perfect way to satisfy Khun Sweet Tooth.(...yes, I am a dork)

Pi-Tom's Thai Cuisine 
Verdict:  Skip dessert, stick with pad thai
Meal: Dessert
(Mango Sticky Rice)
Price: $6
Location: 6 Alexander Street, Toronto





Wanda's Belgian Waffles 
Verdict:  Skip. Too soft, blah batter.
Meal: Dessert
(Original waffle with ice cream)
Price: $5
Location: 361 Yonge St, Toronto








Pi-Tom's Mango Sticky Rice  (~$6)
Fresh mango sliced and served with sweet coconut sticky rice
Thumbs down. I can't really put my finger on why I didn't like it, as I've never made it myself or had a really great version.

I suppose I can't fault them for the blah mango - peak season has come and gone. 
Mango Sticky Rice is supposed to be salty & sweet...I would've liked a bit more of a salty flavour in the coconut-milk. I could be wrong, but perhaps the rice wasn't soaked enough in the coconut-milk or maybe there wasn't enough (to my liking anyways. I'm no Thai-dessert expert) because I would've liked a milkier consistency.



I just kept thinking about how I would tweak it to make it better, which would probably just bastardize the dish and anger my Thai friends. A couple drops of fragrant vanilla in the thick sauce, a bit of salt, finely shredded coconut to garnish, riper mango cut in cubes, and some wild or black Thai rice for flavour and colour. Soak the sticky rice in the milk for at least an hour. I think that I need to either hunt for a good mango sticky rice downtown, or make my own.

Unsatisfied, I headed down to Wanda's Belgian Waffles. Sigh. Not a good night for dessert. The waffle was thick but not crispy - I wish I asked him to leave it on there for another minute. Meneer Sweet Tooth was not impressed.
Wanda's Belgian Waffles (~$5)
Original waffle with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup

Marbleslab - $5-7

There are other flavours (cinnamon, maple, strawberry) but I don't see myself returning anytime soon...especially since Marbleslab's dark chocolate ice cream is just across the street. Should've stuck with what I know I love. Mixed with strawberries, peanuts, & Oreo bits this is a da-yam good. The cone isn't as good as The Big Chill's but I still enjoyed it. As usual, when it comes to ice cream I never get a nice photo. When I want ice cream I can hardly wait to devour it and the Mr. Sweet Tooth's greed takes over!

Conclusion: There's a serious lack of good dessert options in the Yonge & Dundas/Wellesley area.

Now I'm left with a ridiculous craving for a good waffle/crepe that must be satisfied soon! If you know of a great waffle or crepe place, please let me know. Crepes a GoGo was pretty good good, Cafe Crepe was bleh, and I had an okay waffle at Just Desserts a couple years ago. But where is the best place downtown? The hunt begins. Crepe It Up, here I come!


Pi-Tom's Thai Cuisine 
Verdict:  Skip dessert, stick with pad thai
Meal: Dessert
(Mango Sticky Rice)
Price: $6
Location: 6 Alexander Street, Toronto
Wanda's Belgian Waffles 
Verdict:  Skip. Too soft, blah batter.
Meal: Dessert
(Original waffle with ice cream)
Price: $5
Location: 361 Yonge St, Toronto

While not a great dessert place, Pi-Tom's does a decent dinner:
Pi-Tom's Thai Cuisine
Verdict: Go! Unless if you have a peanut allergy. 
Meal: Dinner
Price: $15-$20 per person + tax & tip.
Location: 6 Alexander Street 
Wanda's Belgian Waffles   on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Me ... said...

aww now I am craving waffles too ...
hope I get that waffle iron soonish ... so that I can make my own !!

Anonymous said...

You could add vanila and coconut shred on it and change to some desert of nowhere. I don't know!

Regina Cho said...

Hey! I am loving the posts. I agree that good desserts in the t.o can be at times disappointing. I suggest trying the crepes at Gigi by bay and younge. There's a nice variety of both salty and sweet. the best part is that the crepes taste authentically french.
good luck on the hunt and may the 'bottomless pit' appetite be with you!

Adriane said...

I totally agree with the Wanda's review. We've been to the one north of Wellesley a couple of times. They took a ball of saran wrapped batter out of the fridge and stuck it on the waffle iron. It turned out... moist. Not in a good way. I'm pretty sure that's not what waffle batter is supposed to look and behave like!

Regina Cho said...

Hey! I am loving the posts. I agree that good desserts in the t.o can be at times disappointing. I suggest trying the crepes at Gigi by bay and younge. There's a nice variety of both salty and sweet. the best part is that the crepes taste authentically french.
good luck on the hunt and may the 'bottomless pit' appetite be with you!

Post a Comment